Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2008

I am seriously considering joining a translators association. One reason I haven't joined one yet is because I am not sure if I should join the ATA or NETA. (New England Translators Association.)

I know that joining the ATA would allow me to support and network with translators nationally. The "flip side" to that is I think I would blend in more.

What do you think? Am I better off joining the local organization or national one?

Tahir
Tahir
United States
English to Urdu
+ ...
ATA Nov 2, 2008

Joining ATA will bring you more work.

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 02:39
English to Polish
+ ...
Both Nov 2, 2008

I'm a member of both ATA and HITA and I most of my clients seems to have found me in HITA (the local organization) directory. ATA membership seems to carry more prestige, while your local organization will organize (sic!) networking events, trainings and meetings - all close to home.

[Edited at 2008-11-03 06:08]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about the ATS. Nov 3, 2008

What about the American Translators Society?

http://www.ats-us.org/contact.htm

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Why not both? Nov 3, 2008

Srta Sara wrote:

What do you think? Am I better off joining the local organization or national one?

I find that my dues for my local ATA chapter, the ATA, NAJIT and TEPIS total less than some of the invoices I've submitted. If you get one job (not particularly huge) from your membership, it's a good investment.

Now how involved you want to be in their activities is up to you.

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:39
German to English
Fine if you're a business Nov 6, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

What about the American Translators Society?

http://www.ats-us.org/contact.htm

According to http://www.ats-us.org/individualmembership.htm:

The American Translators Society at this time does not offer individual membership. Only Corporate or Business membership is available. Translators wishing A.T.S. certification should contact an A.T.S. member entity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NETA versus ATA

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »