Lucy Leite  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:15
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I will need to move to Spain next year and I was wondering whether I should become a member of any professional association (APETI, ASETRAD, and so on). If so, which one is the best?

Also, are there any certifications (such as ATA) that are really worth applying for?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Lucy

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't belong to any Dec 10, 2008

I don't belong to any professional association and I haven't found it necessary. Regarding certification in Spain, unless you want to do "traducciones juradas", you need the same certifications as in any other country.

Andrew Steel
Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Asetrad Dec 11, 2008

Hi Lucy,

I'm a member of Asetrad and can recommend it.

One thing worth bearing in mind, and which is applicable to all associations world-wide, is that there is always higher member density in or around the major cities, which is where most events and sessions end up being held.

Regards,

Andrew

Lucy Leite
Lucy Leite  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ASETRAD Dec 22, 2008

Thank you Penelope and Andrew for your comments!

Once I'm finally living there I will contact ASETRAD and get a membership. I understand, Andrew, that it might be a good way for clients to reach you, right? I will move to Murcia, so I don't know if there are lots of events or sessions in the area...

Best,

Lucy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional Association/Certification in Spain

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »