Who accredits/accepts external students/holds overseas exams/equals the IoL DipTrans standard?
Thread poster: Scott_C
Scott_C
Poland
Local time: 04:53
Polish to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2004

I am struggling to pass just one paper in the DipTrans, and fear not having enough time between now and the January exam date to gain enough exposure to real German, my source language. My target language is English. I am wondering if there is another accrediting body from elsewhere who permit their exams to be sat by foreign students, hold sessions in the summer, and bestow a qualification which is internationally recogised as equivalent to the DipTrans.

I am thinking of the Australian NATI maybe, or the South African association. If anyone knows if there is parity of standards and international acceptibility between these associations' qualifications and the DipTrans, please let me know. There may be other relevant associations that some of you have experience of.

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the IoL Nov 3, 2004

I was surprised and delighted to find that I did not need to sit the Dip. Trans. when I asked about it - I already had a Danish diploma (the 'old' ED or Special Language Diploma). This was a part-time course that added up to the equivalent of a year's full-time postgraduaute study, and I had lived for a number of years in Denmark, but other courses may well be recognised too.

(The present ED is a longer two-part course that starts at a lower level but ends up at roughly the same standard. It has also been updated in several ways.)

Keep trying - and best of luck!

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
NAATI Jan 15, 2005

I don't think the NAATI test is on as high a level as the DipTrans. I have done both, for both my language combinations, and so I can speak from experience.

The NAATI "Professional" test (the one everybody does) is two hours and forty minutes (per language direction). Supposedly, there is a two-hour translation test (two passages from a selection) and a forty-minute ethics test, but we were given both papers and told we had two hours 40 minutes.

NAATI accepts IoL membership with DipTrans for accreditation at the Professional level, but not the next level up (Advanced).

How well accepted the NAATI certification is outside Australia, I can't say. But any accreditation is better than none, and there are a lot of people out there earning a living at translation with no accreditation or qualification at all.

If you have the prerequisites, it might also be worth investigating ATA certification.

PS: NAATI tests are in November, but you can have a special test at other times of the year for an additional fee. Testing outside Australia is also possible, as NAATI accreditation is a huge advantage for would-be migrants (they get points for having a useful occupational skill and for their language knowledge).

[Edited at 2005-01-15 12:19]

Scott_C
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the very useful reply, I may well try NAATI or ATA Jan 15, 2005

(nt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who accredits/accepts external students/holds overseas exams/equals the IoL DipTrans standard?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs