Is there an American Translators Society?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:06
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2005

While browsing websites of various translation agencies, I came across the following on one agency's website:

"...We are Corporate Certified and Accredited by the American Translators Society (A.T.S.)and uphold all of their internationally recognized standards in the translation industry..."

Is this a real organization or just clever marketing? The website of the ATS is <
... See more
While browsing websites of various translation agencies, I came across the following on one agency's website:

"...We are Corporate Certified and Accredited by the American Translators Society (A.T.S.)and uphold all of their internationally recognized standards in the translation industry..."

Is this a real organization or just clever marketing? The website of the ATS is http://www.ats-us.org/ You have to be a member to view a list of members and using Google, the only company that has a link to this site is the agency in question. Also, out of a total of 7 hits, two are from this agency and at least two refer to the ATA. Is this a genuine organization or just something this translation company created to make it look like they are certified? After all, anyone can create a website = instant certification??

Just curious.

Jeff Whittaker
www.TampaTranslations.com/dish.htm

[Edited at 2005-03-24 19:42]
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:06
German to English
Smells very fishy Mar 24, 2005

You've certainly piqued my curiosity now, that website looks VERY fishy.

Alex Lane
Alex Lane  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
Russian to English
+ ...
It doesn't look good... Mar 24, 2005

A Google search on "American Translators Society" turns up 7 hits, a couple of which point at the American Translators Association, one of which is ata-us.org itself. It is, therefore, safe to say this organization is not widely recognized.

A whois search on ata-us.org turns up anonymous registrant, admin, and tech contacts, with everything done through an outfit called "Domains By Proxy, Inc."

Not very, um, confidence-inspiring, if you ask me.

Cheers...

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 05:06
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
however Mar 24, 2005

I don't know who the guys in ATS are, however, why not?

There is nothing wrong if smb decide to create another translators association / society /guild to challenge ATA in the States or any other assoc already existed somewhere else.

Another thing whether they be capable of getting recognition from perspective clients, how successful they do in terms of membership, but otherwise..the door is open, isn't it?

But yes, the ATS site looks VERY FISHY indeed.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Is this a real organization or just clever marketing?

[Edited at 2005-03-24 19:42]

[Edited at 2005-03-24 21:37]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're missing the point Mar 24, 2005

I'm afraid you've missed the point.

Yes, anyone can create an organization. But the problem is that a translation agency (listed in the directory here on Proz) is using the fact that they are supposedly CERTIFIED by this organization as a reason clients should use their services. They are not trying to get companies to join their organization, but using this as a means to gain translation clients.

For example, suppose I created a website called the "American Translators
... See more
I'm afraid you've missed the point.

Yes, anyone can create an organization. But the problem is that a translation agency (listed in the directory here on Proz) is using the fact that they are supposedly CERTIFIED by this organization as a reason clients should use their services. They are not trying to get companies to join their organization, but using this as a means to gain translation clients.

For example, suppose I created a website called the "American Translators Union" and filled it will all kinds of quality assurance guarantees, etc. Then, I state on my website that I am CERTIFIED by the American Translators Union. Perspective clients would be none the wiser. Wouldn't that be deceitful and unethical?

Jeff Whittaker

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

I don't know who the guys in ATS are, however, why not?

There is nothing wrong if smb decide to create another translators association / society /guild to challenge ATA in the States or any other assoc already existed somewhere else.

Another thing whether they be capable of getting recognition from perspective clients, how successful they do in terms of membership, but otherwise..the door is open, isn't it?

[Edited at 2005-03-24 21:46]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reference deleted Mar 25, 2005

Apparently, they were not too happy with the ATS since the line I quoted in my original post has been removed from their website.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
This is a bunch of BS in my opinion Mar 25, 2005

Jeff,

You are right. They are completely self-referential but the real clue is the bad English:

"The American Translators Society is a unique society ?? of corporations and businesses adhering to a common set of standards ???in regards to Translation???. These standards are internationally recognized and ""of the highest grade"** [sounds like eggs]. ***This achieves widespread translation conformity*** [ha ha ha] and assures accuracy that all institutions and governm
... See more
Jeff,

You are right. They are completely self-referential but the real clue is the bad English:

"The American Translators Society is a unique society ?? of corporations and businesses adhering to a common set of standards ???in regards to Translation???. These standards are internationally recognized and ""of the highest grade"** [sounds like eggs]. ***This achieves widespread translation conformity*** [ha ha ha] and assures accuracy that all institutions and government agencies receiving such translations can TRUST in. [ha ha ha]

We maintain a registry of businesses meeting our [yeah, the anonymous they set their own standards] international standards of language translation [yeah], and that have received official accreditation from the Society. This allows any person or agency to query this registry for a particular company's A.T.S. Standards and Accreditation rating, to verify that their translation has met rigorous international guidelines and standards."

What a lot of hooey and baloney. Furthermore, the serpent is eating its own tail.

1) Self-referential: we are the standard because we say we are.
2) Poor design
3) Atrocious writing
4) No address given
5) No background history...
6) and I don't trust in it..ha ha

This is hoaxville, in my opinion. These people should find another trolley car to get on, as they used to say in Brazil.

Good hunting, Jeff!

My opinion: this is an attempt to pull in information. And who knows what else...beware the jabberwock my son with his frumious bandersnatch!

[Edited at 2005-03-25 22:58]

[Edited at 2005-03-25 23:00]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an American Translators Society?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »