Thread poster: Wendy Cummings

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:43
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2005

This is a posting mainly for UK based translators.

Has anyone heard of NUPIT (national union for professional interpreters and translators)? I have only just, and totally by chance. I am curious therefore to find out whether its a well-kept secret, or whether people really haven't ever heard of it!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-17 19:14]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-11 11:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
I've heard of it but don't know much about it Jun 12, 2005

It has been mentioned in the ITI Bulletin - or was it The Linguist?
It has a website at http://nupit.org
and is part of a larger trade union, Amicus
http://www.amicustheunion.org/
for technical and engineering occupations.

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
NUPIT Jun 12, 2005

NUPIT is a trade union www.nupit.org as opposed to a professional association such as the IoL and ITI.

Can't say I know of anyone who is a member (even when I still lived in the UK) and how it is of relevance for freelance translators, despite the claims on their website. Maybe someone who is a member, can provide more information?

Jana

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
silent and undercover? Jun 12, 2005

I've just been reading up about it from its website and a report they have produced ('What do translators and interpreters talk about amongst themselves' http://www.amicustheunion.org/pdf/NupitSurvey.pdf). In theory I agree with their mission statement, but if it is largely unheard of, then I am doubtful as to what good they can do.

Any comments?

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Alive and well (and growing fast) Jun 12, 2005

I am pleased to report that NUPIT (the National Union of Professional Interpreters and Translators, www.nupit.org) is currently alive and well. It is a branch of Amicus and I recently become secretary. We are currently involved in the campaign to uphold the national minimum rate for interpreters on the NRPSI (National Register of Public Service Interpreters). The courts and the police are supposed to contact interpreters and translators directly through the NRPSI, but some police constabularies have contracted out their interpreting requirements to agencies. In actual fact, some of these agencies don't always work with members on the National Register, or they do but only pay them much less than the national rate.
In addition, NUPIT has a legal helpline to assist translators or interpreters, for example in the event of non-payment. The union has other plans in the pipeline to support our profession (for example, professional indemnity insurance at an affordable rate) and to fill the void. Organisations like the IOL and the ITI can provide some professional status, membership events, and a code of conduct, but they don't see it as their role to stand up for the rights of translators and interpreters. Our committee consists of volunteers like me but we can count on the backing and experience of national Amicus officers for campaigns. I agree that NUPIT has not been very visible until recently but our membership has grown considerably this year and we have become very active, including an unofficial Yahoo group and many informal links between our members.

[Edited at 2005-06-12 16:06]

Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
German to English
+ ...
NUPIT and visibility Jun 15, 2005

I sent a query to NUPIT on 26 May, and received an acknowledgement that my message had been received and had been passed on to the "Regional Officer" (the individual concerned was named in the response but it is not my intention to embarrass him personally).

As of today (15 June) I have received no response from NUPIT. A response would probably have resulted in public exposure for NUPIT and for their policies in the national press (and this was made crystal clear in my enquiry), so I am not entirely convinced that NUPIT is all that interested in public visibility.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Write to me Jun 15, 2005

Hi James,
Sorry to hear about your experience and I agree that this is unacceptable
Our committee of translators on the grindstone are not based in the Amicus offices where your mail would have arrived and it wasn't passed on to us.
If you have a moment, please send me the details of your mail and I will take this up for you.

Anne

John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Still alive and well? Apr 16, 2009

If you are, I would be interested to hear what are you doing about the current debate. I might even join See http://www.iol.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=5665#post5665

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NUPIT - has anyone heard of it (UK)?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search