Associations and Awarding Bodies in the UK
Thread poster: Lidia Morejudo

Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2005

I have come across IoL, and ITI so far, as well as local ones like Hertfordshire Interpreters and Translators Association.

What are the advantages of joining one of them? Every translator-interpreter should join at least one?

And, regarding diplomas, I know the ones awarded by IoL, is there any others? are the DPSI and the Dips Trans the ones to have?

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Credibility and sociability Aug 3, 2005

The strongest reason for joining a professional association is credibility - outsourcers (companies, agencies) regard that as a sign that you are serious about the translation business. You are more likely to be a professional than an amateur. It doesn't guarantee work from them, but it is a useful tick in the box.

Sociability is another reason - meeting other translators and networking. Again, not guaranteed to generate business, but there are many translators (myself included) who have been offered work as a result of word of mouth networking over a drink.

There are other reasons, but those above are the strongest. (Let me declare an interest - I am a member of the ITI, and of one of its regional grooups, the London Regional Group).

Diplomas etc - other people can answer that better. Ther are also academic qualifications, MA, MSc etc, also worth considering.

Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Czech to English
+ ...
IoL and ITI- the differences? Mar 7, 2007

Hi
I'm hoping to join an organisation, am thinking ITI, as they have a great local network I am involved in
Any large differences?
Thanks a lot!

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
ITI Mar 12, 2007

Julian Wood wrote:

Hi
I'm hoping to join an organisation, am thinking ITI, as they have a great local network I am involved in
Any large differences?
Thanks a lot!

Hi Julian,
you might have been better off making a new post about this, but for what it's worth - I reckon the ITI is much better than IoL at serving the specific needs of translators and interpreters. IoL offers decent qualifications but its online translators' network is much less well-developed, and local networks are practically non-existent as far as I can tell.

I am MCIL (full member of the IoL) and an Associate of ITI. It is much more difficult to become MITI than it is to become MCIL (hence why I have one and not the other!). I still find IoL useful and get occasional enquiries via the directory, but if/when I become MITI I think I might drop IoL membership.

I am also involved in my local ITI group (West Midlands) and in the French network, and have met some fantastic people through the networks and at nationwide events.

Angela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Associations and Awarding Bodies in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs