https://www.proz.com/forum/translators_associations/41701-feedback_on_diptrans_exams.html

Feedback on DipTrans exams
Thread poster: Carolyn Brice
Carolyn Brice
Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:04
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2006

Hi,

I was wondering how anyone who took the DipTrans exam this week found it, difficulty, etc, especially in the French to English combination.
I personally took the French to English combination and chose the business and law options.
The General Translation paper was quite straightforward, I thought. The business option was a little more difficult, and I was pleased with the text given in the law option.
What did anyone else think? Feedback on other language comb
... See more
Hi,

I was wondering how anyone who took the DipTrans exam this week found it, difficulty, etc, especially in the French to English combination.
I personally took the French to English combination and chose the business and law options.
The General Translation paper was quite straightforward, I thought. The business option was a little more difficult, and I was pleased with the text given in the law option.
What did anyone else think? Feedback on other language combinations would also be interesting.
Carolyn
Collapse

Catherine Christaki
Catherine Christaki  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Greek
Business was quite difficult Jan 24, 2006

Hi Carolyn, same here. The general text was ok, the business text was quite hard, and the legal text was quite easy (or so I thought). It was a very tiring procedure though, too many hours, when I got home I was exhausted. By the way, my language combination was English>Greek, but I think that my texts were the same as yours. Was the subject of your Business paper hedge funds?

[Edited at 2006-01-24 13:04]

LESLEY LAWN (X)
LESLEY LAWN (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:04
French to English
+ ...
dip trans Jan 25, 2006

Carolyn Brice wrote:

Hi,

What did anyone else think? Feedback on other language combinations would also be interesting.
Carolyn

Hi--I took fr-eng. What a day. My brain was fried by hte end but it wasnt as bad as i thought in many ways. i did social science[opaque] and lit. which i actually enjoyed. Its good to hear what others thought --

Carolyn Brice
Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:04
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what my texts were about... Jan 25, 2006

Catherine Christaki wrote:

Hi Carolyn, same here. The general text was ok, the business text was quite hard, and the legal text was quite easy (or so I thought). It was a very tiring procedure though, too many hours, when I got home I was exhausted. By the way, my language combination was English>Greek, but I think that my texts were the same as yours. Was the subject of your Business paper hedge funds?

[Edited at 2006-01-24 13:04]

No they weren't the same because I was translating from French. My business text was about the annual general meeting of a large French company and about investing in this company's shares. It wasn't particularly difficult, I thought. The law text was a newspaper article about record damages awarded to a French businessman after he sued a bank. So, again, quite straightforward. At least that's what I thought! Let's see if I still think that on results day!

Kala apotelesmata!

[Edited at 2006-01-26 08:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on DipTrans exams

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »