Mobile menu

Is there an European Translators' Association?
Thread poster: Anil Gidwani

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:19
German to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2006

Is there such an organization? Since I did not find anything by googling, I assume not.

Does anyone have any comparative feedback as regards membership in IOL, ITI, or ADUE? Are there any other prominent international or regional translation associations based in Europe? Since one cannot become a member of every association, this comparative feedback would be useful in zeroing in on membership of one of these associations.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
ITI vs IoL Jan 28, 2006

I belong to both the ITI and the IoL. If I had to choose only one of them, it would be the ITI, because its main concern is for translators and interpreters, whereas the IoL, though it covers these fields, has a lot of teachers and university professors among its membership and is thus less concentrated on our needs. But both have their good points.
Sorry, I don't know anything about the ADÜ.

Elizabeth Rudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
Member (2005)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
ITI/IOL Jan 28, 2006

I agree with Jack – I also find the ITI more useful than the IoL. Over the years, most of my clients found me through the ITI directory, although some found my details in the IoL Find-a-Linguist database. Both institutions have excellent publications and professional development schemes/courses. The IoL will soon offer its members the “chartered linguist” status (more info: http://www.ptreasuredsl.clara.net/linguist_4_2005/director.htm), but the ITI will soon catch up with that. Of the two, I would definitely recommend the ITI.

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:19
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
List of translator associations Feb 22, 2006

Here's one of the most useful lists of translator associations I found while researching the Web. It's none other than...

the list on ProZ.com!

http://www.proz.com/translator_associations

I found this list to be even more exhaustive than the list on the FIT site. Since there is no European Translator's association on this list, I guess in a way that answers the primary question.

[Edited at 2006-02-23 13:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an European Translators' Association?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs