Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
ATA - American Translator's Association: what are the benefits of membership?
Thread poster: Sophia Hundt (X)
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 08:27
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree with Henry Sep 2, 2006

... and i talked to some clients about their attitude towards ProZ, ProZ membership, ProZ BlueBoard and i may say that sometimes being a ProZ member with complete profile, multiple positive clients feedback at Project History and positive WWA, (even high KudoZ ranking) help a lot to get the same results as being "ATA-ed")

Henry wrote:
...you might get better results with a complete profile and a professional attitude. Even becoming a member won't help you meet clients if you don't have these two things.

[Edited at 2006-09-02 20:49]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:27
English to German
+ ...
I have heard of ATA Sep 2, 2006

I am a BDUE since 1990 and I did not feel the necessity to report my credential to any authority. But ATA would be certainly interesting. I shall be in the US starting next Nov and shall get the right adv. about ATA or may be experienced proz members would also help find the right path. I concentrate fully on technical subjects and so far I did not feel the necessity to inform myself about ATA. In Germany if you are an engg. you are a master and it doesn´t require much to be anything else an... See more
I am a BDUE since 1990 and I did not feel the necessity to report my credential to any authority. But ATA would be certainly interesting. I shall be in the US starting next Nov and shall get the right adv. about ATA or may be experienced proz members would also help find the right path. I concentrate fully on technical subjects and so far I did not feel the necessity to inform myself about ATA. In Germany if you are an engg. you are a master and it doesn´t require much to be anything else and one could coin one´s own term. But may be ATA certification is better than being an engineer and translator. Appreciate much all stimulus. Best BrandisCollapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Highly technical ATA exam? Sep 2, 2006

I don't know about the 1970s, femme, but when I took two ATA "accreditation" (now "certification") exams in the 90s, we were given 5 texts from which we could choose either 2 or 3 to translate. We had to pass 2 to pass the exam, and it was our choice whether doing 3 in the limited time would help or harm our chances. The 5 texts were from 5 different fields, one of which was literary.

I passed both of my exams, English>Spanish and Spanish>English. Believe me, I couldn't have done it
... See more
I don't know about the 1970s, femme, but when I took two ATA "accreditation" (now "certification") exams in the 90s, we were given 5 texts from which we could choose either 2 or 3 to translate. We had to pass 2 to pass the exam, and it was our choice whether doing 3 in the limited time would help or harm our chances. The 5 texts were from 5 different fields, one of which was literary.

I passed both of my exams, English>Spanish and Spanish>English. Believe me, I couldn't have done it with some of the texts I was given! But since we had a choice, I'm glad to say I made it.

This forum has inspired me to get busy and renew my lapsed ATA membership. The monthly magazine and the directory listing are enough to pay for the membership fee.

And you might want to think about taking that exam again, femme! It's a great credential to put on your profile or CV.
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Times Do Change, Don't They? Sep 2, 2006

And it looks like the ATA has, too! I assumed they probably had. But I would still say that not being a member of ATA is not necessarily a negative reflection on a translator's skills. Thanks for taking the time to update me, Jane, about how the exam is structured nowadays.

Does anybody know if I can take the exam from a remote location?

Thanks for your response.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
I agree Sep 2, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

I passed both of my exams, English>Spanish and Spanish>English. Believe me, I couldn't have done it with some of the texts I was given! But since we had a choice, I'm glad to say I made it.
And you might want to think about taking that exam again, femme! It's a great credential to put on your profile or CV.

I agree. I took the English-Spanish test twice, the second time earlier this year, and passed. There was one compulsory text, and two other texts to choose from. Things have changed a lot; my advice to femme is to take the test again, and my advice to Sophia is to join both ATA and ALTA.

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Sep 3, 2006

I don't know how about being ATA-d, but boy, I assure you that I am able to add significantly to our income with what I find at ProZ and the like. I put up a complete profile, client testimonials, samples and even my photo, and it's an excellent first step in establishing some of the longer-term connections. Proz.com really made it possible to instantly find work without leaving home, which as mother of a small baby I just don't want to do. What a revelation!

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

... and i talked to some clients about their attitude towards ProZ, ProZ membership, ProZ BlueBoard and i may say that sometimes being a ProZ member with complete profile, multiple positive clients feedback at Project History and positive WWA, (even high KudoZ ranking) help a lot to get the same results as being "ATA-ed")

Henry wrote:
...you might get better results with a complete profile and a professional attitude. Even becoming a member won't help you meet clients if you don't have these two things.

[Edited at 2006-09-02 20:49]

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Directory listing Sep 3, 2006

Hi Jane - if you could elaborate a bit on your answer here:

Do you need to be ATA certified to be listed in the ATA directory or do you simply need to pay your fee?
Also, what are the benefits of being listed in the directory and what are the benefits of the monthly magazine exactly?

Thank you.

JaneTranslates wrote:

This forum has inspired me to get busy and renew my lapsed ATA membership. The monthly magazine and the directory listing are enough to pay for the membership fee.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you checked out the ATA website? Sep 3, 2006

Sophia Hundt wrote:

Do you need to be ATA certified to be listed in the ATA directory or do you simply need to pay your fee?
Also, what are the benefits of being listed in the directory and what are the benefits of the monthly magazine exactly?

Thank you.

I suggest you go to:
http://www.atanet.org/onlinedirectories/individuals.php
for the answer to your first question. It's not that I don't want to answer it; it's that I haven't been an active member since 2000 so my info may not be current. When I was a member, you did not need certification to be listed, but certifications were shown in your directory listing. I presume it's still the same--I didn't take the time to read on the ATA site, just sent you the link.

As to the second: The directory, online or paper, does the same thing as ProZ membership: It gets your name and info out there where potential clients can find it. If your directory listing also includes that you are ATA certified for a particular language pair (and direction), you are more likely to be chosen. It's credentials. And you can put your ATA membership (and certification) on your CV, your ProZ profile, your business card, your job application, etc.

I imagine you posted here because you want rank-and-file feedback from ATA members, not just "official" info. I wish I had kept my membership current; if I had, I could be more helpful. But I got enough jobs when I was a member to pay for the membership fee. (Not, however, for the exam, which is expensive!)

Good luck!

Jane

Marian Greenfield
Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ATA Exams are offered throught the U.S. and in many other countries Sep 3, 2006

Just visit http://www.atanet.org/certification/upcoming.php

for a continually updated list (exam year ends in November)

If by remote you mean over the Internet, that is not a possiblity.

However, sittings can be arranged wherever, as long as there is a suitable site, enough people to make it worthwhile to pay for the site and the proctor and there is an ATA-certified member willing to proctor.

femme wrote:

And it looks like the ATA has, too! I assumed they probably had. But I would still say that not being a member of ATA is not necessarily a negative reflection on a translator's skills. Thanks for taking the time to update me, Jane, about how the exam is structured nowadays.

Does anybody know if I can take the exam from a remote location?

Thanks for your response.

Marian Greenfield
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jane is right... Sep 3, 2006

You just need to pay your dues to be listed in the on-line directory, but your listing will indicate ATA-certified xx to xx (Spanish to English in my case) if you pass the certification test.

The on-line directory is indeed a great source of work. The hit statistics are published periodically, but even more impressive are the personal testimonials, as you've seen here. Even in the most common language pairs, people get calls. I, for instance, do Spanish, Portuguese, and French to E
... See more
You just need to pay your dues to be listed in the on-line directory, but your listing will indicate ATA-certified xx to xx (Spanish to English in my case) if you pass the certification test.

The on-line directory is indeed a great source of work. The hit statistics are published periodically, but even more impressive are the personal testimonials, as you've seen here. Even in the most common language pairs, people get calls. I, for instance, do Spanish, Portuguese, and French to English (quite common here in the U.S.) and have made some very interesting contacts based on callers who found me in the directory (admittedly, my financial specialization and years of experience are the distinguising factor).

The magazine (The Chronicle) has interesting, useful articles and lists upcoming translation and interpreting-related events.

You will probably find the Slavic Languages Division newsletter (and probably the Literary Division Newsletter, although I'm not familiar with that one) even more useful.

Best,
Marian
Sophia Hundt wrote:

Thank you.

JaneTranslates wrote:

Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sites For ATA Exams/Number of Tests Taken At One Sitting Sep 3, 2006

Thanks for your response, Marian.

I'll check out the site to see if there will be an exam around here any time soon.

Since I translate from both Spanish and French, is it possible to take 2 exams at one sitting?

Thank You.

Marian Greenfield
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
taking 2 exams in one sitting Sep 3, 2006

At the annual conference, I think there are both morning and afternoon sittings. I don't think that occurs very often elsewhere. The exam is a 3-hour exam, so it's pretty exhausting, so it's not the best idea to take 2 in one day, but if there are two sittings, it is possible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I highly recommend you take the practice test as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get it back before the exam. It will give you a good idea of whether y
... See more
At the annual conference, I think there are both morning and afternoon sittings. I don't think that occurs very often elsewhere. The exam is a 3-hour exam, so it's pretty exhausting, so it's not the best idea to take 2 in one day, but if there are two sittings, it is possible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I highly recommend you take the practice test as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get it back before the exam. It will give you a good idea of whether you're ready for the exam and it will also help you with exam strategy, because you'll see how the graders think.

Best of luck.
msg

femme wrote:

Thanks for your response, Marian.

I'll check out the site to see if there will be an exam around here any time soon.

Since I translate from both Spanish and French, is it possible to take 2 exams at one sitting?

Thank You.

Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Practice Exam/Two Exams In One Day Sep 3, 2006

Thanks again for your responses, Marian.

It's good to know that there's a practice exam so that translators can have a pretty fair idea of what to expect and how they'll be graded.

It seems like one exam per sitting would be enough. Just one sounds pretty draining, like some of my larger translation projects that have to get out under a strict deadline! Pressure...

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Context, meaning, and language proficiency Sep 5, 2006

Eva T wrote:
Thor and Dyran,
Geee!
If you feel that there is absolutely nothing on here that ever interests you among us, (and I feel offended with the rest of your choice of words!!!!!!!!!!!!!), why are you still here?

Leaving aside the fact that "absolutely nothing" in the context you quote referred only to the jobs section, I guess that, speaking in general, "because I can" pretty much sums it up.

And Dyran, nothing you say surprises me anymore. I think I already know you from your writings here on ProZ and even know what you will say next.

Aw shucks... A honest-to-goodness mind-reader. Isn't that swell?

--
Dyran
(feeling speshul, so speshul...)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA - American Translator's Association: what are the benefits of membership?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »