Mobile menu

IOL In Brazil
Thread poster: Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2006

I would like to know if it is possible to take the IOL examination here in Brazil, as I feel this qualification is essential to good translators across the globe, and going to England to take the exam is quite costly to say the least. Any possible venues? What costs would be incurred if this is indeed possible?

Direct link Reply with quote
Claire Hone
Local time: 22:19
French to English
IOL in Brazil Dec 19, 2006

Dear Paul

Check out the IoL website. I am fairly sure that you can do their course as a distance learning course and take the examination at specified locations around the world. I know there is one English University (sorry I can't remember which one) which allows you to distance study. If you have no joy, let me know and I will try and find out for you.

Good luck.

Claire Hone

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
British Council Dec 19, 2006

In order to prepare for the exam, you could take a distance learning course at City University.
As for sitting the examination, you could check with the British Council. In Italy you can take the IoL examination at the British Council, paying an additional fee.

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
German to English
+ ...
Possibilities in Argentina or Uruguay Dec 19, 2006

I just checked the IOL website for a listing of locations that offer a prep course:

If they don't also administer the test, maybe they can at least point you in the right direction. Unfortunately there are no listings for Brazil, but at least these 2 are on the same continent:

ELT Consultants
Av Gral Las Heras
1425 Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
Tel. 0054 1803 0215
Prof. Alejandro Parini

International House
Avenida Brasil 2831
Montevideo 11300
Tel. 0059 82 709 2461
Ms. Rosario Estrada

I realize they are probably not the right language directions for you, but they can at least tell you what their students do. If they are certified to give the EN --> ES exam for instance, they can probably also administer the ES --> EN one on request.

I can personally recommend the distance learning course / exam prep from City U in London.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IOL In Brazil

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs