Mobile menu

ITI associate membership
Thread poster: Wouter Vanhees

Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
English to Flemish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2007

Hello everyone,

I've recently set up my own freelance translation business. I was thinking of applying for ITI associate membership. Do you think it is worth joining ITI as an associate member?

Also, as I don't have a degree in languages or translation, I was wondering what my chances are of being admitted as an associate member to ITI. Degrees or qualifications apparently aren't a prerequisite for such membership, but still, if anyone else was/is in a similar situation, I'd like to hear your advice.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
ITI Jul 12, 2007

Hello Ortelius,

For ITI qualified membership, MITI (better than associate), you can go to London and do their exam in situ, rather unpractical if you live outside the UK. Still, you could combine a short holiday trip to London with a practical task while you're there ...

The alternative is doing what I did - sending them a couple of your past translations, complete with originals. I forget how many sample pairs they need, two or three - and I think they have to be validated by whoever you did them for, too. The ITI assesses them, and notifies you as to its opinion of your work.

If all is well, then they send you the ITI certificate - after you pay over your dosh, of course. I can't remember either how much the fee was around 2000, but it will be more now, that's for sure.

Serena Dorey
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:50
German to English
Yes, it's worth it Jul 12, 2007

I'm an associate of the ITI (I don't have enough years of experience to be MITI yet - but will do in the near future!) and just renewed my membership for the 2007/2008 year for £70.

I find membership is really useful: I have attended some ITI courses/seminars and went to their 21st Anniversary Conference this year. These events are a great way to meet other translators and brush up on your skills. You'll also receive a copy of the bi-monthly ITI Bulletin, which will keep you up-to-date on the goings on in the industry and any forthcoming events.

I think it's worth it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ITI associate membership

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs