Thread poster: Juliana Brown

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:54
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2007

I have been trying to establish my candidacy in order to be eligible to sit the certification exam in February. My degree is not in translation, although it involved a lot of translation (Ph.D. in Comparative Literature) and so I understood I would have to prove four years of full time translation work.
Great! I have this experience, but as freelancer I do not have any single client for whom I have worked full time, and for sure not for four years.
No matter how many times I explain to the party responsible at the ATIO, they keep sending me the same reponse- "Please send two letters showing that you have worked full time in translation for a period of four years".
I am at my wits' end (though I admit, I did not have far to go). Any ideas?
Thanks!

[Titlu editat de un membru al personalului sau de un moderator 2007-11-01 16:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
Obtain letters from several agencies Nov 1, 2007

Hi Juliana,

In order to establish four years' activity in translation, I would contact the various agencies and clients for whom you have worked, and ask them to provide a reference for the relevant period of time.

It should not be a problem that you are providing more than two letters, I think.

Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried to ask Nov 1, 2007

the contact person if that would be acceptable, to show that I have been active for the period mentioned, but all I got in response was "if you are not sure, you should contact us". I thought that was what I had done!
I am just wondering how they plan to calculate the hours, words, etc. unless I give them ALL my clients, etc. which would be a lot.
Someone mentioned something about a dossier once. Have you heard about gaining eligibility through a dossier exam?

Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 10:54
English to German
+ ...
On Dossier Certification Nov 2, 2007

Hi Juliana,

You may want to take a look at the following website:
http://www.stibc.org/on-dossier-qa.php

It's a possibility to become a certified member of a Canadian Translators and Interpreters Association without having to sit an exam. I believe this is possible in all CTIC member associations, not just in BC.

Good luck

Olav

Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Olav, Nov 2, 2007

I will definitely check out that option!

Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
On dossier certification is available in Ontario Nov 5, 2007

This route might be best for you in obtaining certification; you have to submit 10 samples of translations you have done.

Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much. Nov 5, 2007

This definitely seems like the most efficient way to get it done. I'll e-mail them today and see if they'll let me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Canadian ATIO members - certification exam eligibility

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs