Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:00
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2004

Dear friends,
I would like to find out if any one of you read anything about the origin of the Turkish word for "God".
Hungarians (as me) are often interested in our obscure origins. Yesterday I read an article about the origin of the Hungarian word for "God": "Isten". According to the study, this was originally a compound word, namely "is" ("ancestor") + "ten" ("heaven").

Now, I am interested in the "ten" part. The study claims that is related to the word "tenger" or similar words in Siberian and Central Asian Turkic languages, meaning "heaven" or "sky". It is brought in relation with the Chinese "tian" meaning the same. (cf. Tian shan, Tiananmen).

Now, my question to the Turkish community here is whether you anything about the etimology of "Tanri". Is this derived from "tenger", or is a compund word "tan" + "ri"? In this case, what is the "ri" element?

Thank you for any explanation, cok tesekkür ederim.

Csaba Ban
Macaristan

Direct link Reply with quote

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:00
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi Csaba Jan 7, 2004

Will you come over to cover the elections?
There's some dispute of its etymology.
According to some sources the first form of Tanrı is tengri, it is used in old Chinese texts as one of Mete's titles.
Another suggestion is that it is formed of the word "tan" which means sky. Taking into account that the ancient religion of the Turkish people was Sky God religion this seems logical too.
In the Yakut language tanrı is "tangara" and "tangora", in Mongolian "tangı", Chuvashian "tura". Other forms of "tanrı" in Turkic languages are tengere (as in Tengere Kayra Han, the creator of mankind), and "tengirü". In Summerian it is "tingir".
"Ten-tan" means both, sky and dawn in Turkish.
Other words with "tan-". "Tansık" = miracle, "tanrılık" = priest and temple. Apart from these, there are many Turkish names that start with "tan-"

Csaba Ban wrote:

Dear friends,
I would like to find out if any one of you read anything about the origin of the Turkish word for "God".
Hungarians (as me) are often interested in our obscure origins. Yesterday I read an article about the origin of the Hungarian word for "God": "Isten". According to the study, this was originally a compound word, namely "is" ("ancestor") + "ten" ("heaven").

Now, I am interested in the "ten" part. The study claims that is related to the word "tenger" or similar words in Siberian and Central Asian Turkic languages, meaning "heaven" or "sky". It is brought in relation with the Chinese "tian" meaning the same. (cf. Tian shan, Tiananmen).

Now, my question to the Turkish community here is whether you anything about the etimology of "Tanri". Is this derived from "tenger", or is a compund word "tan" + "ri"? In this case, what is the "ri" element?

Csaba Ban
Macaristan

Haluk Levent Aka
Local time: 00:00
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
I don't know about Turkish but... Mar 3, 2004

ten does mean heaven in Japanese. The word is of Chinese origin tien (as you proposed) and dates back to central asia.

Csaba Ban wrote:

Dear friends,

Csaba Ban
Macaristan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Etimology of "Tanri"

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs