Legalization of Ukrainian documents for France?
Thread poster: Irina Popova
Irina Popova
Irina Popova  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sep 8, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I would be very grateful if you could help me clarify the following issue:
A birth certificate, issued by Ukrainian authorities is presented to the French authorities for the purposes of naturalization. French authorities require "legalization" and refer to the Ukrainian consulate in France for this purpose.
Ukrainian consulate in France answered that they do not provide such legalizations.
The certificate is legalized by the MInistry of Foreign Af
... See more
Dear colleagues,

A birth certificate, issued by Ukrainian authorities is presented to the French authorities for the purposes of naturalization. French authorities require "legalization" and refer to the Ukrainian consulate in France for this purpose.
Ukrainian consulate in France answered that they do not provide such legalizations.
The certificate is legalized by the MInistry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (Ministerstvo zakordonnih prav).
Are you, by chance, familiar with this issue?
Is this legalization enough or the French authorities want something more? If yes - who has to "legalize" the certificate?
Thank you very much in advance!!
Collapse

Joseph Kovalov
Joseph Kovalov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Procedure Sep 9, 2003

Usually legalization in Ukraine includes:

1. Translation of the document
1. Notarization of the copy of the document with translation attached to it.
2. This notarized document is legalized at the Ministry of Justice
3. The document notarized and legalized by the Ministry of Justice is to be afterwards legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I know it for sure because I had to legalize my documents by myself.

For some countries a d
... See more
Usually legalization in Ukraine includes:

1. Translation of the document
1. Notarization of the copy of the document with translation attached to it.
2. This notarized document is legalized at the Ministry of Justice
3. The document notarized and legalized by the Ministry of Justice is to be afterwards legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I know it for sure because I had to legalize my documents by myself.

For some countries a double legalization is required (first you legalize the copy of the document and then the translation attached to this copy).

If you have additional questions, please, don’t hesitate to write directly to my e-mail.

[Edited at 2003-09-09 12:47]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 21:57
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
my 5 canadian cents Sep 10, 2003

From my experience: in the nutshell, Ithe local authorities simply want to have someone locally confirm that the document is valid. That's why they suggest Consulate - it's the easiest and cheapest way...
If you find, say, a notary who can notarize (ie understand Ukrainian) it it should work as well. Then, you may translate it, and notarize the translation.. (but in this case I would ask the authorities - the body where the document is to be submitted - whether they will be satisfied with
... See more
From my experience: in the nutshell, Ithe local authorities simply want to have someone locally confirm that the document is valid. That's why they suggest Consulate - it's the easiest and cheapest way...
If you find, say, a notary who can notarize (ie understand Ukrainian) it it should work as well. Then, you may translate it, and notarize the translation.. (but in this case I would ask the authorities - the body where the document is to be submitted - whether they will be satisfied with the above.

[quote]Comtrans1 wrote:

Dear colleagues,

A birth certificate, issued by Ukrainian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legalization of Ukrainian documents for France?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »