https://www.proz.com/forum/ukrainian/28560-obtaining_a_certified_translation_of_a_us_passport.html

Obtaining a certified translation of a US Passport
Thread poster: Davíd Lavie
Davíd Lavie
Davíd Lavie
United States
Local time: 09:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2005

Greetings,

My Dad needs to take possession of some real estate he has purchased in the Ukraine, and the builders are requesting a certified translation of his US Passport before they can hand over the title.

Does anyone know how quickly this can be done? Is the original required or would a copy of the passport do? My preference would be that whoever can do this live in the Ukraine, because it would make more sense to the building company. On the other hand, if the trans
... See more
Greetings,

My Dad needs to take possession of some real estate he has purchased in the Ukraine, and the builders are requesting a certified translation of his US Passport before they can hand over the title.

Does anyone know how quickly this can be done? Is the original required or would a copy of the passport do? My preference would be that whoever can do this live in the Ukraine, because it would make more sense to the building company. On the other hand, if the translator must see the bearer with the original document, I suppose it would have to be done in NYC, where my Dad lives.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Gennady Pritsker
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:00
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
a thought Jan 19, 2005

Gennady,
It can be done in Ukraine through some translation agency with further notarization by a local notary public. I believe also (from my personal experience) that some notaries in Kiev, for ex. can do both.
In Canada to do both is no-no; same's in the States.

I am doing certified translations of personal documents myself and my certification is accepted by the US bodies (like Immigration), and, as far as I know, what translator needs - a good (readable) photocopy
... See more
Gennady,
It can be done in Ukraine through some translation agency with further notarization by a local notary public. I believe also (from my personal experience) that some notaries in Kiev, for ex. can do both.
In Canada to do both is no-no; same's in the States.

I am doing certified translations of personal documents myself and my certification is accepted by the US bodies (like Immigration), and, as far as I know, what translator needs - a good (readable) photocopy of the document. It is good to have the proper spelling of the bearer's name in the target language (it saves a lot of nerve and time and everything).

Another option - you can do translation in NYC and get it certified in the Ukrainian consulate / embassy/ UN representative - whatever Ukrainian official body office you have in NYC. In this case you may not need any notarization at all, and for builders such verification will be good enough (better than any notarization done in NYC).

And it can be done fast, really.

Gennady Pritsker[/quote]
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
another thought Jan 19, 2005

If your father is not coming to Ukraine in person, then it might make sense to make the translation and certify it in the Ukrainian Consulate in NYC.
In Ukraine it may be difficult to notarize the translation without the original document - and sending the passport overseas is not a good idea either.
The only possible way to do this in Ukraine is to make a notarised copy of the passport in the US - then a local notary here may agree to certify the translation.

Davíd Lavie
Davíd Lavie
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your responses Jan 20, 2005

The Ukrainian Consulate in NYC seems to have been a bit fickle on this point, so an alternate, local route has to eb explored

Am I correct in understanding that an agency in the Ukraine that does both translation and notarization *may* accept a photocopy of a passport?

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:00
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
as far as i know Jan 20, 2005

When i was in Ukraine and doing it - there was no problem to do the translation using a photocopy, Then translator went to a notary public and did notarization. However, that's the translator's signature (and eligibility to do translations) which are notarized. What i mean - this translator has to be duly qualified (with relevant credentials etc.). When i was doing it, they always asked for a copy of my Diploma with qualifications stated.

It is strange about the Ukr. consulate - I h
... See more
When i was in Ukraine and doing it - there was no problem to do the translation using a photocopy, Then translator went to a notary public and did notarization. However, that's the translator's signature (and eligibility to do translations) which are notarized. What i mean - this translator has to be duly qualified (with relevant credentials etc.). When i was doing it, they always asked for a copy of my Diploma with qualifications stated.

It is strange about the Ukr. consulate - I had an understanding that this is a "business" for them as other similar bodies may even charge for such verifications.

Then why not to try some other Ukrainian isntutitions in NY (UN rep.)...

Gennady Pritsker wrote:

The Ukrainian Consulate in NYC seems to have been a bit fickle on this point, so an alternate, local route has to eb explored

[Edited at 2005-01-20 03:29]
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
about photocopies Jan 20, 2005

Gennady,

Generally, Vladimir's point is correct - the notary only certifies the translator's signature and verifies the credentials required, but:
I have dealt with notaries a couple of times, and their requirement is that _everything_ that goes under their seal and signature must be verified by them in person (e.g., by having the relevant person come to their office and provide the original of the passport) or previously notarised by another notary.
They say that this i
... See more
Gennady,

Generally, Vladimir's point is correct - the notary only certifies the translator's signature and verifies the credentials required, but:
I have dealt with notaries a couple of times, and their requirement is that _everything_ that goes under their seal and signature must be verified by them in person (e.g., by having the relevant person come to their office and provide the original of the passport) or previously notarised by another notary.
They say that this is required by law to avoid possible fraud - potentially, a photocopy of a passport may be forged plainly using today's office equipment, and if they certify a translation of such a document, they provide kind of assurance for the photocopy itself. At least that's how I understood it.
So, the least you should do if you need the translation done in Ukraine is to have the photocopy of the passport notarised or otherwise certified by an internationally recognised authority and then mail this copy for translation.
Collapse

Joseph Kovalov
Joseph Kovalov  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
I do agree with Oleg Jan 20, 2005

I translated and notarized passports hundreds of times and my notary always asked me to produce the original for checking.
As in Ukraine it is forbidden to notarize a copy of local passport the best issue is the one suggested by Oleg namely send to Ukraine a copy of your Dad's passport notarized or otherwise certified in order to make it translated and notarized.

Vadim Zima
Vadim Zima  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
English to Russian
+ ...
notarised copy of passport and notarised original of translation, plus apostille! Jan 25, 2005

Dmitriy Kovalev wrote:

...send to Ukraine a copy of your Dad's passport notarized or otherwise certified in order to make it translated and notarized.
Alternatively, Ukrainian translation done in the US, notarised and accompanied by an apostille from the Secretary of State and attached to a certified copy of the passport makes the document OFFICIAL and acceptable by all Ukrainian agencies and entities.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Obtaining a certified translation of a US Passport

Translation news in Ukraine

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »