https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/104137-save_xp_petition.html

Save XP Petition
Thread poster: Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:24
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2008

Hello all,

If you are among those who do not like Vista and oppose MS's decision to stop selling XP after June 30, do think about signing InfoWorld's petition here http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

Apparently, the 190,000 + signatures already collected are making Steve Ballmer think about extending XP's lifespan...

Make your voice heard...
See more
Hello all,

If you are among those who do not like Vista and oppose MS's decision to stop selling XP after June 30, do think about signing InfoWorld's petition here http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

Apparently, the 190,000 + signatures already collected are making Steve Ballmer think about extending XP's lifespan...

Make your voice heard

Patricia
Collapse

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I just did! May 8, 2008

Thank you Patricia for posting this link. I just signed the petition and hope that the customers will eventually succeed in making the difference.

We all know that stopping Windows XP sales also means that they plan to stop all support for Windows XP in the very near future. However, in view of the bugs in Vista I am really not prepared to switch to such an instable operating system at this time.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why not just buy it before it expires? May 8, 2008

Patricia Lane wrote:
If you are among those who do not like Vista and oppose MS's decision to stop selling XP after June 30...

If you want to buy XP, buy it now. Don't way until after June 30 and say "if only...".

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just May 8, 2008

bought another computer w/XP - about 6 to 12 months earlier than planned.

As you may know, not *all* computers can be downgraded from Vista to XP unfortunately. The one I had my eye on could not - drivers not available for certain components.

Patricia

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It ain't broke, so please don't fix it! May 8, 2008

Thanks for posting this!

I too get enormously irritated by constant 'improvements' that mean I have to scrap my system just as I have got it up and running smoothly, and start making all those tiny personal adjustments all over again...

If you don't like the default system as it comes, setting up a new computer with all the peripherals is a real pain. And if you do like the default setup, what is the point of all those smart customising options anyway?

... See more
Thanks for posting this!

I too get enormously irritated by constant 'improvements' that mean I have to scrap my system just as I have got it up and running smoothly, and start making all those tiny personal adjustments all over again...

If you don't like the default system as it comes, setting up a new computer with all the peripherals is a real pain. And if you do like the default setup, what is the point of all those smart customising options anyway?

Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hm May 8, 2008

I am using Vista since several months and I am very satisfied. I tweaked the interface, and everything in my computer looks exactly as get accustomed with my previous system (XP). Otherwise everything is just perfect - not a single problem.

However, if you have an older computer, just buy XP while it is yet available, as Samuel advises.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
I don't mourn over XP May 8, 2008

Christine Andersen wrote:

I'm using a Vista system for two weeks already, and I am very satisified with it. It seems that most people who are criticising Vista haven't even worked with it, and till now I was one of them.

I wouldn't have purchased Vista hadn't my desktop computer crashed unexpectedly. So I got a laptop with pre-installed Vista on it.

Apparently, there is even a small application that lets you transfer your previous settings to Vista if you upgrade (convert) from XP. I didn't have the chance to verify if this Easy Transfer System (I think that's how they calll it) works smoothly since I couldn't get my old XP system to start. But it's part of Vista operating system, so you don't have to purchase it separately.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:24
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Re: Why not just buy it before it expires? May 8, 2008

While I like XP and I think it is a good OS, buying it now does not really solve the problem. Once Microsoft stops providing updates, the system will be practically useless (or maybe rather unsafe and unstable to the point of being useless).

Best Regards
Stanislaw

[Edited at 2008-05-08 23:06]

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
bogus May 12, 2008

Patricia Lane wrote:

Hello all,

Make your voice heard

Patricia

Vista it is an absolutely decent operating system with a number of advantages over XP.
Signing a petition to "save" XP is pathetic - you must have too much time.
Isn't it highly likely that if you haven't upgraded to Vista yet you are probably still using XP? Why worry that Microsoft may stop selling it?

Besides, it is intellectual bogus to assume Microsoft would stop selling a product that is still profitable.

I have the feeling complaining about Microsoft is becoming a kind of trend, probably started by those who still think Linux has major advantages over Windows.

[Edited at 2008-05-12 14:56]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? May 19, 2008

Umm, linux does have major advantages over windows. That's a fact. Then again, that applies to certain uses and certain users... you and I are not among those users.

Anyway, it makes perfect business sense for MS to stop selling a profitable product: in order to sell an even more profitable one, and in order to be able to stop providing support for XP which will force people to make the switch (because of the lack of drivers, lack of new functionality and unpatched vulnerabilities)
... See more
Umm, linux does have major advantages over windows. That's a fact. Then again, that applies to certain uses and certain users... you and I are not among those users.

Anyway, it makes perfect business sense for MS to stop selling a profitable product: in order to sell an even more profitable one, and in order to be able to stop providing support for XP which will force people to make the switch (because of the lack of drivers, lack of new functionality and unpatched vulnerabilities) and fork over the cash for Vista. Otherwise, the same users could keep on running XP and not make MS any richer.
And being ticked about all that is perfectly understandable.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Save XP Petition

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »