Mobile menu

Do I need XP Firewall and Virus control?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 12, 2008

I just switched off automatic updates because in another thread people warned about SP3. I noticed then, that I have Windows Firewall and Virus control on. Since I have also a seperate Firewall and Virus control installed (Zone Alarm Internet Suite) I'm wandering now if my settings are ok or if those two Firewalls will slow down my computer. What do you think?
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Leave as is May 12, 2008

Have a look at the details of the Firewall and the virus control - chances are it will tell you that these services are taken care of by Zonealarm. I think Zonealarm is clever enough to disable the default Windows firewall and there is no default virus control in XP anyway so if your computer says it's on, it's referring to a third party program that it's merely monitoring.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
be careful May 12, 2008

- imo, switching off automatic update is unwise. i updated my wxp to sp3, not with the sp3 rtm, and it works fine.
- as for the firewall, since you have zonealarm suite, its better to turn off the one built in on wxp. and i believe that wxp doesn't have built in antivirus. it only has antivirus monitoring feature.

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:21
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
XP firewall is very rudimentary May 12, 2008

... so you should disable it if you have ZoneAlarm, which can be configured far more conveniently.

The same goes for Antivirus.

As for automatic updates, I have mine set so that I am only informed, after which I can decide whether I need umpteen megabytes of protection for some exotic function I don't use (or have disabled) anyway.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Things have changed May 12, 2008

Today I updated Zonalarm. When I now look at Windows Security Center, it says, Firewall is off and Zonealarm firewall is disabled. But Zonealarm itself says that all is fine. Version 7.0.470.000.
In the Support center of ZA it says:
"ZoneAlarm will disable Windows Firewall upon installation of XP SP2 so that the ZoneAlarm product is the only firewall running. This process was recommended by Microsoft because of the potential negative side effects of running two firewalls at the same time."

So I wander still why this morning WSC thought its own fierwall was on but now, after upgrading ZA, it thinks ZA firewall is disabled.
By the way, under Virus protection it says that ZA protection is on.
Probably I shall believe what ZA says and forget about WSC and not worry.
Regards
Heinrich

Here still one source:

"Once you've installed a bidirectional firewall, I recommend disabling the Windows Firewall altogether. Occasionally, firewalls obstruct an application you're trying to use over a network connection--and there's nothing more frustrating than spending a half hour tweaking, disabling, and even uninstalling a firewall, only to discover that the other firewall was the culprit. To disable the Windows Firewall in the Security Center, click the Windows Firewall link at the bottom of the dialog box, check Off (not recommended) in the next window, and click OK."
(PC World)

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-12 15:31]

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:21
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
see what this says May 12, 2008

If you are unsure whether your firewall is on, see what this test has to say:

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its ok May 12, 2008

Thanks, Lutz, I tested and my firewall is ok.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
upgrading za May 13, 2008

i used zonealarm security suite when i was still using windows. i remember that it is better to uninstall za altogether and install new version than upgrading it directly. upgrading za often result in non-functioning za.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need XP Firewall and Virus control?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs