Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Flemish to English
+ ...
May 28, 2008

Microsoft announced its new OS for 2009 :
Touch screen and voice-recognition will become more integrated and replace mouse and keyboard.
One particular software producer already integrates advanced machine-translation and CAT into 1 program. If need be, you simply scan the document, translate it with MT, correct it with dragon (voice-recognition) and have it read aloud by the program. Given the way M$ is going with their next OS, I would not be surprised if this producer integrated voice-recognition in the next version of their product. Link all of this to a huge database, like Googles' database and the only role of the translator will be to correct the translation. An unavoidable evolution.
Perhaps not such a sunny view of things to come!?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I'd wait for the cyborg version May 28, 2008

The Windows version I'm waiting for will come with electrons integrated into your brain, so you don't have to move a finger, just think.

Seriously, I hope I will find the courage to jump from XP either to Linux or to Apple.

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Which one? May 28, 2008

Williamson wrote:

One particular software producer already integrates advanced machine-translation and CAT into 1 program.

Which one are you referring too? There could be more than one

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Machine translation is not for our work May 28, 2008

We many times fear that MT will leave us out of work. It could, of course, in the very long run. But MT was not made for our work really. A company who would rely on MT for their documents or communications is one that does not care much about the result, and would never pay a translator to do it. It's either MT or leaving their stuff untranslated.

The same happens with tons of repetitive materials that are already translated with MT with a certain degree of success (Microsoft's knowledge base is an example). But... will you feel really sorry if the "To save the file, choose File > Save." kind of work disappeared from our market?

Do you really think Microsoft would have translated their KB if they could not use MT? No way, José!!

We translators are here for trickier stuff. We will be out of work as soon as some scientist finds the way to hammer our thoughts, beliefs, fears, feelings, and all the rest of our brains and souls into a computer. Until that happens, I will not be affraid of my future as a translator and will keep working hard to improve every day. Let machines come to me in an orderly queue and let's see who wins!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The next windows OS : A view of things to come

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs