Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:30
English to Arabic
Aug 3, 2008

Peace be upon you all,
I have bought another Hard disk recently and now I am using two hard disk on my Pc, I need to make a good method of backup for my sensitive and most important folders, I know about the RAID method, and I want to know if anyone is using this method for backup and what is the best method of backup from your own point of view
Thanks
Rayyan

by the way, I am using windos xp operating system with GHZ and 765 MB of RAM

[تم التعديل �
... See more
Peace be upon you all,
I have bought another Hard disk recently and now I am using two hard disk on my Pc, I need to make a good method of backup for my sensitive and most important folders, I know about the RAID method, and I want to know if anyone is using this method for backup and what is the best method of backup from your own point of view
Thanks
Rayyan

by the way, I am using windos xp operating system with GHZ and 765 MB of RAM

[تم التعديل في 2008-08-03 05:43]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
RAID is not a backup method Aug 3, 2008

RAID refers to a "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks" (the first name) or today to "Redundant Array of Independent Disks". You can read about this here in Wikipedia.

However, when you use an extra HDD (an external one would be the best option), you can easily use the Windows utility to create backup every day. For this I adapoted the "father/son method" for the needs of a small c
... See more
RAID refers to a "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks" (the first name) or today to "Redundant Array of Independent Disks". You can read about this here in Wikipedia.

However, when you use an extra HDD (an external one would be the best option), you can easily use the Windows utility to create backup every day. For this I adapoted the "father/son method" for the needs of a small company. This works quite easy and you have the security, that you will never lose more than 24 hours of your work (the absoloute worst case of complete PC damage just within the last minute before the next backup will start).
The main components of this method are

• a full backup of selected directories (all work directoties, emails and so on) once a week
  • a differential backup of the same directories every day

This way you can restore any day in the week from the full backup and the differential backup from the particular day.
A better description can be found in my presentation for the Budapest Conference, which is downloadable here.

Have fund with backing up your data
Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2008-08-03 10:35]
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 15:30
English to Greek
+ ...
Nero Backitup Aug 3, 2008

I use Nero Backitup (integrated in the Nero suite) and it does automatic backup of selected directories at a selected time every day and saves it in my external HDD. Every time, it keeps the backup files of the two last days and it deletes the older ones.

Of course, I have never had to use the backup files so far (thankfully...), so I am not sure if it is good. Maybe some other colleagues have more experience with it and can help us more.

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
A couple of pointers Aug 3, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

I use Nero Backitup (integrated in the Nero suite) and it does automatic backup of selected directories at a selected time every day and saves it in my external HDD. Every time, it keeps the backup files of the two last days and it deletes the older ones.

• Remember to create off-site backups as well. Otherwise you stand to lose a career’s worth of translation memories and term bases, not to mention a lot of other data, should e.g. a fire damage both your PC and the external drive next to it.

• Keep backup media in perfect working condition, and keep both on-site and off-site backups secure. If you encrypt your backups, ensure that the encryption does not prevent their intended use.

• Perform test restorations now and then—before an emergency arises.

• [Edited at 2008-08-03 14:26]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Flemish to English
+ ...
Link Aug 3, 2008

I use WindowsLiveOnecare which has a backup-feature and a 1TB Maxtor external HDD. I have been looking for online-backup systems. If somebody knows a link to a company providing (cheap) online-backup, this link would be very welcome.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
portable HDD Aug 3, 2008

I have a portable HDD (USB) and I backup my files every week using just Windows Commander's option "Compare Folders". It is not difficult. There are two panes for two disks. You select folders on the left and then on the right and they are compared. Then you update. There are many options and you can set the direction of update... You can as well find some free synchronisers on the Net, but I prefer doing it manually, because I have few root folders (not too long to select, while the trees inclu... See more
I have a portable HDD (USB) and I backup my files every week using just Windows Commander's option "Compare Folders". It is not difficult. There are two panes for two disks. You select folders on the left and then on the right and they are compared. Then you update. There are many options and you can set the direction of update... You can as well find some free synchronisers on the Net, but I prefer doing it manually, because I have few root folders (not too long to select, while the trees include thousands folders) and sometimes I modify the inner structure. If it is all automatic you will get many copies... I prefer controlling things... I have a desktop PC and a notebook. The desktop PC is the main PC in the family (it is a convention). The data from the desktop are copied to the portable HDD and then imposed to other computers. While updating manually, I set the portable HDD as the master and all the PC's in the family are updated from it. This way I'm sure I can take any PC at any time and work away from home. My fife's notebook is also updated this way -- from the portable HDD. It may look complicated, but for me it is just like plugging-in a USB flash drive and copying files to it. It takes 2-3 minutes.

[Редактировалось 2008-08-03 23:48]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Methods of backup

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »