Thread poster: Sven Petersson

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 5, 2008

Please see:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/XP-SP3-Can-Kill-All-Update-Installations-91388.shtml

or

http://keznews.com/4737_XP_SP3_Can_Kill_All_Update_Installations

Tested by me and unfortunately true.

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

[Edited at 2008-08-05 11:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:53
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Read the whole text in the articles! Aug 5, 2008

Reading more than just the head line describes why this happens and how to avoid it from happening.

How many times after installing new software or updates to existing have you not received the note that “you must restart your computer for the updates to take effect”. As the quoted articles point out, Windows register is not fully updated until after a restart, and consequently the new software/update does not see the status.

When receiving notification about new Microsoft product updates you also get references to the technical background as well as detailed installation procedures for the updates. READ THEM! Your computer is not smarter than you are, and if you make a mistake the computer copies that mistake with often catastrophic consequences. And I have not come across one single computer user that have admitted doing mistakes. Everything is blamed on the machine and the programs that make it work.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Lars, Aug 5, 2008

Reading is not enough; one must try to understand the message communicated, and preferably test if the message is truthful.

If you get out a spare computer and install XP SP2 after formatting the disk you will find that no "you must restart ..." message appears at the end of the installation process. If you then, without restarting, update (to SP3) THEN you have blocked any further updates.

It's a MAJOR M$ OOPS!

Reading is not enough; one must try to understand!

Try again, Lars!

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Done clean installation of my PC shortly Aug 5, 2008

And installed Windows including Service Pack 2, not SP2 over an existing Windows.
The system asked me to reboot several times. And, more important, after installing Windows, before I could continue, I had to install all drivers for my motherboard, as otherwise RAID and IDE do not work. Same applies to graphic card.
So even if you wouldn't be asked to reboot by Windows (which I honestly doubt) all other features would have forced you to do so.
And another question: why not try to integrate the SP3 into Windows installation as one can do that with SP2? I do not know if possible, but if I were in need to install Windows on a clean PC I would try to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

YET ANOTHER XP SP3 WARNING

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs