https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/116125-windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

Windows XP Service Pack 3
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:45
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sep 23, 2008

Shall I install that?
For now the PC is running, so I do not see a big reason to install SP3.
Of course there are a lot of improvements in terms of security, but what when I install it and my applications will not work anymore?
I've already read here about problems with SP3, however this was short after its release. Now some time has passed. Do you have any recent experience with it? Installed and everything worked fine?

Thanks for sharing
Jerzy

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I've had it about two months, no problems Sep 23, 2008

I didn't know there was such a thing, I just happened to come across Service Pack 3 on the Web when I was looking for something else, so I installed it. I didn't encounter any of the problems other people have mentioned, and it's been fine ever since. But I wonder why Microsoft didn't automatically send it out as an update.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS does send it now Sep 23, 2008

Recently I'm getting the information I should install SP3. It comes through the automatic update from Windows. But this started to happen not directly after the SP3 release - so this fact also made me suspect. Were there any errors in the early release?

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
French to English
+ ...
Antivirus problems Sep 23, 2008

Hi Jerzy,
SP3 initially caused problems with some antivirus software (disabling the internet connection being the main problem). I installed it with AVG 8 still running, as I hadn't heard about these problems, and everything was fine. Might be worth Googling your particular antivirus + SP3 to see if others have had problems.

It's not a huge major update like SP2 so I imagine that's why there's not been an urgent drive to release it.

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

3 moths Sep 23, 2008

I installed it some 2-3 months ago and everything works fine, internet connection and antivirus included (Norton 360).

Regards,
M.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Last week Sep 23, 2008

It came as an automatic upgrade.

Don't start installing this whopper when you are in the middle of a job with a deadline within the next hour, even if you are on cable and you have a fast machine.

I haven't noticed any difference since, meaning, I didn't have any problems, and I have tried out all of my applications.

Addendum:

Your antivirus software might give you a serious warning after rebooting your PC (I use McAffee).

[Edited at 2
... See more
It came as an automatic upgrade.

Don't start installing this whopper when you are in the middle of a job with a deadline within the next hour, even if you are on cable and you have a fast machine.

I haven't noticed any difference since, meaning, I didn't have any problems, and I have tried out all of my applications.

Addendum:

Your antivirus software might give you a serious warning after rebooting your PC (I use McAffee).

[Edited at 2008-09-23 08:57]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Stable Sep 23, 2008

I installed it maybe a couple of months ago, and did not have any issues with apps or performance since.
Can't remember if I had a problem with some error message during the install, but the instructions by Microsoft can be helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

Good luck,
Philippe

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Backup Sep 23, 2008

If you decide to update, be sure to backup everything first. Best to make an image of the disk (system partition) in case something goes wrong. The safest option would be to upgrade to SP3 after a clean install; in your case I would probably still stick to SP2, unless you have a time to experiment or strong reason to update.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
It's OK Sep 23, 2008

There was a problem with the first version of the Service Pack (before it was distributed automatically) - apparently, if Windows had been installed from a pre-built image that was intended for an AMD processor and the underlying hardware had since changed to an Intel processor (or vice versa), the computer would not boot up after installing SP3.

I think that has been fixed now, and it never affected anybody who had just installed their Windows XP the old-fashioned way via the DVD-R
... See more
There was a problem with the first version of the Service Pack (before it was distributed automatically) - apparently, if Windows had been installed from a pre-built image that was intended for an AMD processor and the underlying hardware had since changed to an Intel processor (or vice versa), the computer would not boot up after installing SP3.

I think that has been fixed now, and it never affected anybody who had just installed their Windows XP the old-fashioned way via the DVD-ROM that was in the box.

I took the plunge a few weeks ago and installed the update on various rigs here at the office and at home and it went without a hitch every time. Be sure to have some disk space free, though. The Service Pack 3 can take up around 1 GB, depending on the circumstances.

[Edited at 2008-09-23 11:08]
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
German to English
Some network problems Sep 23, 2008

Jerzy,

If you're using a standalone PC, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as you've been religiously installing the earlier SPs.

Network installation can be problematic, as we found out, with some network connections simply refusing to be identified. So we backed out SP3 to the previous restore point (takes about 20 minutes all told, no problem).

Oddly enough, the day after we experienced the network problems and restored the system to SP2 status, we learn
... See more
Jerzy,

If you're using a standalone PC, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as you've been religiously installing the earlier SPs.

Network installation can be problematic, as we found out, with some network connections simply refusing to be identified. So we backed out SP3 to the previous restore point (takes about 20 minutes all told, no problem).

Oddly enough, the day after we experienced the network problems and restored the system to SP2 status, we learned from a major client bank in Frankfurt that SP3 had caused massive network problems there, too. It's not so easy to restore 5,000 workstations....

Robin
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
That's where I am at Sep 23, 2008

The yellow shield icon has been sitting at the bottom of my screen for more than a week now. I just cannot summon the courage to install it after reading so many horrible things about it; and the warning about making a back up that precedes the installation does not make it any easier.

I would like to just skip it and delete it, but I have not been able to find a method to remove the pending update, so it continues sitting there. I wonder what I would do when another update is rele
... See more
The yellow shield icon has been sitting at the bottom of my screen for more than a week now. I just cannot summon the courage to install it after reading so many horrible things about it; and the warning about making a back up that precedes the installation does not make it any easier.

I would like to just skip it and delete it, but I have not been able to find a method to remove the pending update, so it continues sitting there. I wonder what I would do when another update is released, and how I will be able to choose one but not the other. I read this is the last service pack they will release but that is no consolation, there will be other updates for sure.
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
German to English
Easy Sep 23, 2008

Luisa Ramos wrote: I would like to just skip it and delete it, but I have not been able to find a method to remove the pending update, so it continues sitting there.

Right-click the yellow shield icon, clear the check box, click Close, check the check box, click OK. Enjoy life..

Robin

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A normal software distribution cycle... Sep 27, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Recently I'm getting the information I should install SP3. It comes through the automatic update from Windows. But this started to happen not directly after the SP3 release - so this fact also made me suspect.

It's perfectly normal in the software distribution cycle.
The major OS fixes/add-ons are not mandatory for a certain period because of possible problems so the system admins may be able to postpone the installation 'till the quirks are fixed.
It was the same with XP SP1. SP2 and IE7.
It may take up to six months.
But even in this case, sometimes SP are blocked by MS for some PC with no compliant hardware, e.g. Vista SP1 for some Fujitsu-Siemens notebooks with older BIOS versions.

Were there any errors in the early release?

You may experience a problem with Windows Update.
But it's easy to fix, just three commands in the command line.
The preinstalled AMD machines using cloned HDDs prepared for Intel may freeze.

PS.
In the corporation I work for the SP3 is mandatory and preinstalled in every new machine.
I.e. it was tested and approved

BTW.
If you install Trados 2007 on XP SP3, the setup package reports SP2.
The SDL guys have serious problems to count up to three.

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP3 installed Sep 27, 2008

on both desktop and laptop (with this one I'm writing this now) flawlesly.
Everything is up and running.

Thanks for your insights and advices
Best regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »