Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 8, 2008

This week I started to work on a new Vista laptop. In XP I could create a new zip-folder in Windows explorer unter Files > New. But in Vista now I see only New > RAR-archive or RAR-zip-archive. So I wonder how compatible this RAR-software is with my customers.
Or perhaps these alternatives appear because I installed RAR on my machine? I had to do this because I needed to extract a RAR-archive someone had sent. I remember once years ago on an XP-computer the installation of additional software removed the zip-function of the operating system. What can I do to get my normal zip-function back?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:45
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Sent to (Senden an) Oct 8, 2008

Hi Heinrich,
on my Vista system the Zip feature is under "Datei/Senden an/zipkomprimierten Ordner" on a English Vista this might be "File/Send to/Zip compressed folder".

To avoid confusion, my Vista is "Vista Ultimate".

Siegfried

[Edited at 2008-10-08 10:51]

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
rar and zip Oct 8, 2008

You can still make zip using WinRAR (if that's what you are using):

Select file (or files) you wish to compress, right click mouse, in the pull-down menu select "add to archive". This opens your WinRAR program, and in "archive format" select "zip". Off you go.

Alternatively, select file (or files) you wish to compress, right click mouse, in the pull-down menu select "send to", then select "compressed (zip) folder". This is Microsoft's built-in program for zipping and unzipping files.

Cheers.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

This week I started to work on a new Vista laptop. In XP I could create a new zip-folder in Windows explorer unter Files > New. But in Vista now I see only New > RAR-archive or RAR-zip-archive. So I wonder how compatible this RAR-software is with my customers.
Or perhaps these alternatives appear because I installed RAR on my machine? I had to do this because I needed to extract a RAR-archive someone had sent. I remember once years ago on an XP-computer the installation of additional software removed the zip-function of the operating system. What can I do to get my normal zip-function back?

Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2008-10-08 06:54]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
My WinZip in Vista is stuck on trial version Oct 8, 2008

I paid for the latest WinZip and installed in on my laptop (Vista), but it refuses to accept the activation code I was given. I've emailed WinZip but no reply. Fortunately the latest version of "Conversions Plus", which is installed on it, will open zip files.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
WinRAR works beautifully Oct 8, 2008

We had the same problem when we bought our first Vista machine. I downloaded WinRAR and it works beautifully. We even make backup RAR files 7-10 GB in size!

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So there is no inbuilt zip-function in Vista? Oct 8, 2008

Because I installed RAR, I don't know if there has been initially a zip-function in Vista, as it was in XP.
When I double-click on the RAR-zip-file RAR opens the archive. What will happen if the other person does not have RAR installed? I rather use normal zip-function if it is possible in Vista.
Regards
Heinrich

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You have installed it Oct 8, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Or perhaps these alternatives appear because I installed RAR on my machine? I had to do this because I needed to extract a RAR-archive someone had sent.

Yes, I doubt if Vista would offer these options by itself. When you install WinRAR, it gives the option of shell integration, and there are many options you can choose. It is possible to set "ZIP" as the default compression method in WinRAR and that it is possible to change the shell extensions from within the program.

RAR is a proprietary format that is not well supported by ZIP programs. I think 7-zip can open RAR files, although I'm not sure if it can do so without installing a plugin.

On my version of WinRAR (and Windows XP), to set ZIP as default:
1. Go Options -> Settings -> Compression -> Create default...
2. Select "ZIP" and "Normal".

To change the shell integration (that's the right-click options):
1. Go Options -> Settings -> Integration
2. Under "Shell integration", select all three items, and click "Context menu items..."
3. Now select which option you want available in the right-click menu. The items only appear when they need to, so if an action can't be done on a certain file, then that action will not appear on the right-click menu, even if you select it here.

To set your file associations for ZIP files:
1. Go Options -> Settings -> Integration
2. Under "Associate WinRAR with", select or deselect ZIP. Deselecting ZIP only means that WinRAR will not be the default program for ZIP files, but the WinRAR option will still be available on the right-click menu, if you have enabled shell integration.

If you don't want to do these things, perhaps your right-click menu has the option "Add to archive...". If you select this, WinRAR will prompt you for additonal settings, and you can select "ZIP" (this is what At Large said above).

I often use this "Add to archive..." item because it enables me to set additional settings. For example, if I have 10 folders and I want 10 zip files, I can use WinRAR to do it. Simply select all folders, right-click, "Add to archive...", then go Files, and click "Put each file to separate archive".

[Edited at 2008-10-08 07:35]

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
both xp and vista have built-in zip function Oct 8, 2008

it's under "send to" -> "Compressed (zip) folder" when you right click the mouse after selecting the files/folders you want to zip. This does zip as well as unzip.
Cheers

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Because I installed RAR, I don't know if there has been initially a zip-function in Vista, as it was in XP.
When I double-click on the RAR-zip-file RAR opens the archive. What will happen if the other person does not have RAR installed? I rather use normal zip-function if it is possible in Vista.
Regards
Heinrich

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in my Vista... Oct 8, 2008

... at large wrote:
it's under "send to" -> "Compressed (zip) folder" when you right click the mouse after selecting the files/folders you want to zip. This does zip as well as unzip.
Cheers

Not in my Vista I'm affraid. Did you set up anything special in your machine?

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes in my Vista... Oct 8, 2008

That's the built-in one that comes with Windows.

You can also see winRAR icons.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in my Vista - 2 Oct 8, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:
That's the built-in one that comes with Windows.
You can also see winRAR icons.

Thanks John Paul, but honestly, it did/does not show up in my Spanish Vista... That's why I got WinRAR!

Spanish to English
+ ...
Well, Tomás... Oct 8, 2008

how odd ... but as long as you have some system that works, that's what matters.

I have just tried zipping a folder with this 'default' program and I note that the result shows up on my desktop with the typical RAR icon and a .rar extension (stacked books) so perhaps installing winRAR does override the default zip system.

(I was expecting an icon of a folder with a zip on it, as shown in the picture.)

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will this expire after three months? Oct 8, 2008

When I double-click such a rar-zip-archive, the result is shown as a RAR-folder and a message pops up telling me that RAR is no freeware and that I have to buy the stuff after three months.
So how can I get the original Vista-function for compressing back to work?
Regards
Heinrich

Spanish to English
+ ...
Free compression programs: why pay? Oct 8, 2008

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

http://www.7-zip.org/

http://shop.smithmicro.com/v2.0-img/operations/aladdins/site/micro/060921/stuffit_standard_win_uk.html

The last one is £15 to buy BTW (about 20 €uros) although I did get a free version with a magazine, which I haven't used yet. I am sure there are others out there too.

As for your question, Heinrich, I am not sure: perhaps by uninstalling winRAR? I wouldn't worry about the pop-up too much in any case (he said, cryptically)...

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:45
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
7-Zip works great Oct 8, 2008

Tomás,

That is odd. I also have the Send To right-click option and I didn't set it up or anything.

Anyway, I mostly use 7-Zip, it's has several formats and it's very easy to use.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to zip in Vista?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs