Mobile menu

Problem with getting a foreign font for Vista
Thread poster: tinakow

tinakow
Local time: 21:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2009

I just got a new computer that has Vista on it and I am not too happy about it in general. I have been trying to switch to a Polish font by following directions but nothing seems to work so I cannot work either. Please help! I tried changing it by changing a keyboard in regional settings but it did not work. Then I also tried dowloading a Polish font but that did not help either. Is there anyone who has Vista and knows what the secret is?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Feb 10, 2009

Could you please specify the following:

1) which language version of Vista you have, and
2) where exactly (=in which application) are you trying to install or use Polish fonts?

Natalia

tinakow
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish font Feb 10, 2009

I have English (USA) and as a second Polish (programmers) but that does not help me with Polish diactitics.

I tried downloading a few fonts from online but for some reason they did not install, maybe I am doing it wrong. Everything was much easier with Windows XP because I was able to do it simply by changing the language.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thank you

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
How about my second question? Feb 10, 2009

Could you please specify what exactly are you trying to do? Writing in Word? If yes - do you have MS Office? Which version?
If no - please clarify. Unless it will be clear what exactly and in which program are you trying to do, nobody will be able to help you.

tinakow
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish font Feb 10, 2009

I have MS Office 2007. I am trying to write a document in Word but the Polish diactritic signs are not working. As a rule by pressing Alt and for example the lettr A I should be able to form this Polish letter that does not exist in the english alphabet. I was trying to get the Polish font by dowloading it off the Internet but that did not work and changing computer keybord settings did not help either. I do not know how else to explain it but you must be using a Russian alphabet in word so I am trying to do the same thing but with a Polish alphabet. Please hlep

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
OK, thanks Feb 10, 2009

There are several ways, but the easiest one is as follows:

In Word, please go to the menu Insert > Symbols > choose 'plain text" from the drop-down list (it is "zwykły tekst' in my Polish version > choose the diacritic you need, for example, Ą > click the "keyboard shortcut" button > press the necessary keys, e.g. ALT+CTRL+Shift+A > click 'assign' > OK

Repeat the same for other diacritics.

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2009-02-10 20:44 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
US keyboard? Feb 10, 2009

tinakow wrote:

I have MS Office 2007. I am trying to write a document in Word but the Polish diactritic signs are not working. As a rule by pressing Alt and for example the lettr A I should be able to form this Polish letter that does not exist in the english alphabet.

Let's see.
You have a standard US keyboard (only one (left) Alt) or you have the right Alt too (Alt Gr)?
The right Alt should be used.
If you have only one Alt, see below.

I was trying to get the Polish font by dowloading it off the Internet but that did not work and changing computer keybord settings did not help either.

You should pass by the Control Panel, Regional and Language Settings.
See Keyboards and Languages tab, then Change keyboard and add the Polish Programmer one.
Then change the keyboard layout using Alt+Shift.
If you have only one Alt, type "Shift + `", then the corresponding Polish letter.

I do not know how else to explain it but you must be using a Russian alphabet in word

Never, no way, we use a Latin like script

so I am trying to do the same thing but with a Polish alphabet. Please hlep

HTH

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-02-10 20:05 GMT]

tinakow
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Symbols solution for a Polish font Feb 10, 2009

Natalie wrote:

There are several ways, but the easiest one is as follows:

In Word, please go to the menu Insert > Symbols > choose 'pain text" from the drop-down list (it is "zwykły tekst' in my Polish version > choose the diacritic you need, for example, Ą > click the "keyboard shortcut" button > press the necessary keys, e.g. ALT+CTRL+Shift+A > click 'assign' > OK

Repeat the same for other diacritics.

HTH,
Natalia

Thank you so much Natalia. It finally worked. I appreciate your help!

tinakow
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish font Feb 10, 2009

[quote]Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

tinakow wrote:

You have a standard US keyboard (only one (left) Alt) or you have the right Alt too (Alt Gr)?
The right Alt should be used.
If you have only one Alt, see below.

You should pass by the Control Panel, Regional and Language Settings.
See Keyboards and Languages tab, then Change keyboard and add the Polish Programmer one.
Then change the keyboard layout using Alt+Shift.
If you have only one Alt, type "Shift + `", then the corresponding Polish letter.

Never, no way, we use a Latin like script

so I am trying to do the same thing but with a Polish alphabet. Please hlep

HTH

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-02-10 20:05 GMT]

Thank you for trying to help me Grzegorz. Actually Natalia's reply finally helped me with the problem because earlier I had already tried the options you gave me and they did not work so that is why I was seeking help here. I think you misundestood me about the Russian font I was referring to Natalia as her language is Russian. I know there is a way to dowload foreign alphabets into word fonts if there is no other choice, I did it with a Polish one a few years ago but this time I couldn't with Vista but I do know we use Latin like script of course. Anyway thank you very much. Problem solved

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Caveat... Feb 10, 2009

tinakow wrote:

Thank you for trying to help me Grzegorz. Actually Natalia's reply finally helped me with the problem because earlier I had already tried the options you gave me and they did not work so that is why I was seeking help here. [/quote]
Generally, the Natalia's solution is good i.e. it will always work but the problem is, in this case, many programs may include some metadata who may cause problems for some CAT programs.
I.e. it seems OK ina a WYSIWYG environment but the underlying data may be a crap.
So, it's rather a good workaround

I think you misundestood me about the Russian font I was referring to Natalia as her language is Russian.

I didn't read the entire thread, sorry

I know there is a way to dowload foreign alphabets into word fonts if there is no other choice, I did it with a Polish one a few years ago but this time I couldn't with Vista

I use the f@#$'n Vista but it works fine here.
I remember some castrated US/Western OEM Windows versions didn't include the non US/Western settings by default.
Check your system.
Normally, my solution should work.

but I do know we use Latin like script of course. Anyway thank you very much. Problem solved

I hope

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with getting a foreign font for Vista

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs