Folder won't be deleted
Thread poster: Bilingualduo

Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:13
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2004

I have a problem which I wonder of anyone can help me with.
I had created a folder in which I worked on 5 files which I then zipped and emailed to someone. The person told me that in the folder there were in fact only 3,not 5 files and could I send the folder again. Which I did. The same thing happened. On checking the folder I saw 5 Word doc icons but when trying to open them only 3 of the 5 opened as regular word documents. The other two asked what I wanted to open them with. The properties of the 2 "ghost" files said they were the size they should have been (approx 39kb) and that they were Word docs.
I decided to get rid of the folder.
The problem is I can't. All attempts to delete the folder result in a message saying that it cannot find file xxx-1.DOC. The xxx name is no existent, I never created such a file. I have looked at all hidden file, have run a search for the full file name. The file is not to be found and it seems I can' delete the folder without 'locating it'. The "ghost files" continue to be just that...
I have shut down Word and re-started. Shut down PC and re-started (a day later).
De-fragged. Erased Normal.dot. The folder will not be deleted.

Any ideas what happened?
More importantly, any suggestions of how I delete the folder?
Running Windows XP and Office XP, grateful for any suggestions,

Bambi

[Edited at 2004-03-16 00:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Can you rename it? Mar 16, 2004

Bilingualduo wrote:
I decided to get rid of the folder.
The problem is I can't. All attempts to delete the folder result in a message saying that it cannot find file xxx-1.DOC. The xxx name is no existent, I never created such a file.

Try to right-click on it and choose rename instead of delete. If you can rename it, then you'll probably be able to delete it.

Best of luck!
Esther

Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:13
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That did it...Thank you Mar 16, 2004

:
Try to right-click on it and choose rename instead of delete. If you can rename it, then you'll probably be able to delete it.

Dear Esther,

Though the files woudn't 'allow' themselves to be renamed, the folder did and it has now gone to "folder heaven".

Brill! Thanks a bunch.

Bambi

[Edited at 2004-03-16 08:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Folder won't be deleted

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs