ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 12, 2004

Hello all,
I have a serious computer problem.
I can start the computer in safe mode and he is working slowly, but I cant find out what is causing the trouble...Win XP said it is the graphic card driver and I tried to uninstall it, but it doesnt seem to work.
Can somebody tell me how I can find out which drivers are loaded in safe mode?
Thanks,
Natália

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:33
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Format Apr 12, 2004

In safe mode only the most "important" drivers are loaded, and the are located in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

"Safe Mode uses a Standard VGA video driver and resizes the desktop to a resolution of 640 x 480. "
... See more
In safe mode only the most "important" drivers are loaded, and the are located in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

"Safe Mode uses a Standard VGA video driver and resizes the desktop to a resolution of 640 x 480. "

More info here: http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/kb/document.asp?DN=FA1027295

I think you should do a clean format on you hard drive. I assume that you have two partitions, and if your operating system is located on C:, and your documents on D: it should not be a problem to format C:

Move first the data you need to keep from C: to D:, such as your e-mails, browser favourites etc.

And regarding XP:Win 2000 should normally be more stable and some even say safer, so if you also have 2000 I would have installed this OS. Access to your D:-partion will not be a problem since 2000 and XP uses the same file system (normally NTFS if not formated to FAT32, and even then you will be able to access the data after the installation)
Collapse

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Win 2000 Apr 12, 2004

Thanks Ivan for your help, but I dont have Win 2000 only Win 98.
Even in safe mode the resolution is 1024x768.
I dont know how to acess registry can you tell me. I tried with run.
Thanks,
Natália

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:33
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
regedit Apr 12, 2004

run: type "regedit". This will get you into the registry.

But I am sure you are wasting time. My experience is that a format will be the quickest solution. When you think you have solved a problem in XP a new one arrives.

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:33
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Apr 13, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

But I am sure you are wasting time. My experience is that a format will be the quickest solution. When you think you have solved a problem in XP a new one arrives.

Always a quick and neat solution!!!

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help in WinXP Safe Mode

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »