Why can't I restore my system?
Thread poster: Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Jul 22, 2004

Dear all,
I've tried to restore my system (Windows XP Professional) to several points and it keeps saying the restoration failed, try another point. I couldn't find any help in microsoft troubleshooting.
The space allocated is maximum, it may be full, but how should I empty it. Is there any way of deleting restoration points? If there isn't one, will I not be able to restore my system ever again?
Kind regards,
Javier

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
System Volume Information Jul 22, 2004

Javier Herrera wrote:
Dear all,
I've tried to restore my system (Windows XP Professional) to several points and it keeps saying the restoration failed, try another point. I couldn't find any help in microsoft troubleshooting.
The space allocated is maximum, it may be full, but how should I empty it. Is there any way of deleting restoration points? If there isn't one, will I not be able to restore my system ever again?
Kind regards,
Javier

Hi Javier,

For some reason the restoration points you selected don't work but if you go backwards you'll hopefully find a good one.

I don't think there is any problem if it's full because the system auto deletes the older restore points to make room for the newer ones.
If however, you want to make some room, the place where they are stored is in this folder: C: [forward slash] System Volume Information [forward slash] _restore{"lots of numbers and letters"} [forward slash]
Note that you have to make system files and folders visible or you won't be able to see it.
There you'll find a list of folders with the name RP and a number. The smaller the number the older the Restore point so it should be saber to delete (they have the date anyway).

If you don't want it to take so much space, you can set it to a smaller size in My Computer-System Restore-Settings (I have it set to 5%).

Anyway, why do you need to restore? It might not be necessary...

Grace.

ps. for some reason the forward slashes are not displayed

[Edited at 2004-07-22 12:33]

[Edited at 2004-07-22 12:34]

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 22, 2004

Thanks Grace,
What I wanted is just to undo my last restoration, because I shouldn't have done it. But anyway, I'm doing fine with the system as it is now. If it causes any more trouble, I'll try all restoration points or delete the older ones.
Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't I restore my system?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »