Localized or English editions of Windows
Thread poster: n/a (X)
n/a (X)
n/a (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2004

I wonder if someone can give me some advice on appropriate choice of an operating system for a new PC. I have been used to working with Mac up to now, and having finally decided to invest in a PC system I am unsure of the best type of OS/software to install. I work in Spanish and English, and my problem is that I don't know whether to install an English OS, or the localized Spanish version (I live in Spain, if this makes any difference). When I try to get information from the microsoft website I... See more
I wonder if someone can give me some advice on appropriate choice of an operating system for a new PC. I have been used to working with Mac up to now, and having finally decided to invest in a PC system I am unsure of the best type of OS/software to install. I work in Spanish and English, and my problem is that I don't know whether to install an English OS, or the localized Spanish version (I live in Spain, if this makes any difference). When I try to get information from the microsoft website I get the impression that, in XP at least, there are more multi-language options available with the English version than with the localized ones. Is this true? If I have a Windows OS in Spanish, can I install English software (likewise Spanish on an English OS)? Finally, is there any difference between Windows XP and Windows 2000 in terms of such issues?

I am guessing that most of this will be obvious for those who are used to working with PCs, so if anyone can enlighten me a little on the best way to go I will be hugely grateful.

Many thanks

Iain
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Spanish experience Sep 2, 2004

Hi, I have a Spanish PC that came with a Spanish version of Windows XP. I run MS Office's UK English version. I had always been told that the best version is the original one, but as the OS comes with the PC, I never bothered to change to another language version. I have had no problems.

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I haven't had any problems either Sep 2, 2004

I currently live in the UK, but as I bought my PC when I lived in France, it came with Windows XP in French. My MS Office is in English, though.

The only minor problem I've experienced is when talking to computer helpline staff here in England and trying to go through the steps they tell me in English, using my French version of Windows.

Ashar
Ashar  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 01:30
English to Urdu
+ ...
Windows XP is better! Sep 2, 2004

I am a freelance translator in English to Urdu, Punjabi ( Arabic script). The problem which I faced until recently was the search of an appropriate software for Urdu typing. The only software available is 'Inpage' which is very restricted in the sense that everything has to be exported out of it as a Gif image. I had to paste that image onto Word, which didn't produce desired results while printing and also making the file very heavy.Secondly, it does not support images or picture files.
... See more
I am a freelance translator in English to Urdu, Punjabi ( Arabic script). The problem which I faced until recently was the search of an appropriate software for Urdu typing. The only software available is 'Inpage' which is very restricted in the sense that everything has to be exported out of it as a Gif image. I had to paste that image onto Word, which didn't produce desired results while printing and also making the file very heavy.Secondly, it does not support images or picture files.

In Windows XP, there is solution for Urdu language even. Now I can work easily by enabling the Right to Left Languages option. I have also downloaded some Urdu fonts which are Unicode and work quite well in XP system. Above all, I have downloaded a Phonetic programme which makes typing like sailing.

In Windows 2000, the options are limited. There is not much variety in terms of language options. XP is far better. It also works very fast while using the internet, infact far better than my Windows 98 system which I also use.
Collapse

n/a (X)
n/a (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 2, 2004

Thank you both for letting me know your experiences. It sounds like it will be fine whichever way round I choose to do it. Coming from a Mac background, I was a little concerned to choose the correct Windows system (there seem to be so many options!).

Thanks again, Iain

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localized or English editions of Windows

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »