Mobile menu

How to transfer jpg doc. into Word
Thread poster: Andrea Appel

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:02
English to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2004

Hello,

I have got 3 doc. in jpg. files. The company wants that I do the translation in Word. I managed to copy the files into Word, but I can not write in it. PLEASE HELP I have to be finished at 12:00 noon.
Ps. there are lots of pictures included.

Thank you very much!
Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:02
English to German
+ ...
OCR Sep 24, 2004

Hi Andrea,
JPEGs are graphics files - what you see as text is (technically) just a picture.

The first thing you can try is to investigate from what (or on what system) these JPEGs were generated. Failing that, you could use OCR (optical character recognition) software to recognise the embedded text.

The 'plain-vanilla' way of doing it is typing, of course...

HTH, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:02
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Sep 24, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Andrea,
JPEGs are graphics files - what you see as text is (technically) just a picture.

The first thing you can try is to investigate from what (or on what system) these JPEGs were generated. Failing that, you could use OCR (optical character recognition) software to recognise the embedded text.

The 'plain-vanilla' way of doing it is typing, of course...

HTH, Ralf



Thanks for your answer Ralf I will try the above, the plain vanilla way sounds good but than the pictures would still be missing.

Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:02
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Finereader Sep 24, 2004

If there are a lot of graphics, and your client wants them in the translated document, your best bet is Abby Finereader. You can download a trial from their site, and OCR the jpeg files.

After OCRing, you save into a .doc file keeping format and graphics. Takes some practice, but you can even OCR the text within the graphs, while keeping the rest of the graph as a picture.

Don't forget to charge extra for the formatting!

Regards

Edwal


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 19:02
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Print it and write your translation Sep 24, 2004

Hallo,

shortest way is to print the file and type the translation into word.

Regards

Hans


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:02
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked (-; Sep 24, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Andrea,
JPEGs are graphics files - what you see as text is (technically) just a picture.

The first thing you can try is to investigate from what (or on what system) these JPEGs were generated. Failing that, you could use OCR (optical character recognition) software to recognise the embedded text.

The 'plain-vanilla' way of doing it is typing, of course...

HTH, Ralf



Thanks again Ralf, OCR Abbey Fine Reader worked!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:02
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comment Sep 24, 2004

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

If there are a lot of graphics, and your client wants them in the translated document, your best bet is Abby Finereader. You can download a trial from their site, and OCR the jpeg files.

After OCRing, you save into a .doc file keeping format and graphics. Takes some practice, but you can even OCR the text within the graphs, while keeping the rest of the graph as a picture.

Don't forget to charge extra for the formatting!

Regards

Edwal


Dear Edwal
Thanks so much it worked. Super!!

Kind regards
Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 19:02
English to German
+ ...
depends Sep 24, 2004

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Hello,

I have got 3 doc. in jpg. files. The company wants that I do the translation in Word. I managed to copy the files into Word, but I can not write in it. PLEASE HELP I have to be finished at 12:00 noon.
Ps. there are lots of pictures included.

Thank you very much!
Andrea
That really depends upon how the .jpg file is generated, but generally OCR software should do.
Regards,
Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:02
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Happy it worked... Sep 24, 2004

...and to to be honest I hadn't heardabou the FineReader. The way I was doing them was:
- print the original;
- scan the print with the option to be diplayed in word and then translate directly over it.

If the quality of the original was bad the scanned doc. would be very bad, but in most of the cases it worked.

Thanks, though, for the FineReader.

Have a good week-end every body,

Fabiana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:02
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Just a comment Sep 24, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The first thing you can try is to investigate from what (or on what system) these JPEGs were generated.


HTH, Ralf


I agree with you, but jpegs are jpegs, with which program there are made is irrelevant, there is no formatting tags in it. there are, like you say, just compressed images.
Once "jpeged" there is no way back!

Regards

[Edited at 2004-09-24 17:33]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:02
English to German
+ ...
Source documents Sep 24, 2004

Hi Toledo,
I agree with you, but jpegs are jpegs, with which program there are made is irrelevant, there is no formatting tags in it. there are, like you say, just compressed images.
Once "jpeged" there is no way back!

True.
The reason why I suggested checking for source documents is that sometimes there might be an alternative. For instance, I'm currently working on a website containing a few JPGs and GIFs which were quite obviously created from PowerPoint slides, then embedded and forgotten... Sometimes you might be lucky and get the originals...

Cheers, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 14:02
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hans! Sep 25, 2004

DSC wrote:

Hallo,

shortest way is to print the file and type the translation into word.

Regards

Hans



Kind regards,
Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to transfer jpg doc. into Word

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs