https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/25428-word_spellcheck_uk_us_english_wont_find_und.html

Word spellcheck (UK/US English) won't find "und"
Thread poster: Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 05:01
German to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2004

Hi all,

I have recently noticed (and I hope this wasn't happening before and I DIDN'T notice!) that my spellchecker in Word won't pick up on "und" if I accidentally leave one in a German->English translation. I've checked all the settings and the custom dictionary, but haven't found anything enlightening. Now I just have to remember to do a Find and Replace for "und" with "and". Does anyone else have the same problem?

Hilary...
See more
Hi all,

I have recently noticed (and I hope this wasn't happening before and I DIDN'T notice!) that my spellchecker in Word won't pick up on "und" if I accidentally leave one in a German->English translation. I've checked all the settings and the custom dictionary, but haven't found anything enlightening. Now I just have to remember to do a Find and Replace for "und" with "and". Does anyone else have the same problem?

Hilary
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
It might be English Oct 7, 2004

That could be because the word "und" is a valid English word meaning wave (from Latin 'unda' the root of undulate). It is in the Oxford English Dictionary, but I grant you that it is marked as obsolete and rare. You may have to include that word in a Word exclude dictionary (see Word help).

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 05:01
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
grrr Oct 7, 2004

It won't accept "headquartered", but it lets "und" through...who writes these things? Bill Gates???

Thanks Peter!

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:01
German to English
+ ...
Better Alternative to Word Spellcheck Oct 7, 2004

Hilary Davies wrote:

It won't accept "headquartered", but it lets "und" through...who writes these things? Bill Gates???

Thanks Peter!

I've been meaning to ask this for ages - Is there a better alternative to Word spellcheck, which is quite simply not good enough and, as Hilary's above examples show, is pretty darn illogical.

I'd be grateful for any tips!

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
kina Oct 7, 2004

I get the same for 'kina', 'cos my Word insists on me writing in Spanish unless it recives other instructions, so all 'kind' are changed to 'kina'.

But as far as I know the word doesn't exists in either EN or ES:-)

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
kina? Oct 7, 2004

See Mirriam-Webster, it knows it.

One entry found for kina.

Main Entry: ki·na
Pronunciation: 'kE-n&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Guinea Pidgin, literally, a kind of shell

Anyway, it is a good Polish plural of 'kino' (cinema).

By the way: some versions of Word hang, whan you run a spellchecker over a word 'W³ochy' (Italy). I had to mark this word as written in a language, I do not have a dictionary for.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:01
English to Spanish
Kina... Oct 7, 2004

It's Quechua for bark, and the tree where the quinine is taken from is named Kina Kina.

It holds the same meaning in Spanish, but the DRAE only accepts the "quina" spelling...

The k/qu issue is very common, and it seems that MS just tried to be culturally diverse

BTW, before starting to write any document I click on Select all and then Tools - Language - Define Language. Otherwise Word begins
... See more
It's Quechua for bark, and the tree where the quinine is taken from is named Kina Kina.

It holds the same meaning in Spanish, but the DRAE only accepts the "quina" spelling...

The k/qu issue is very common, and it seems that MS just tried to be culturally diverse

BTW, before starting to write any document I click on Select all and then Tools - Language - Define Language. Otherwise Word begins to make funny decisions when it comes to automatic changes...

[Edited at 2004-10-07 18:17]
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Me too Oct 7, 2004

Hi Hilary,

I have the same problem and actually posted more or less the same question about a year ago. For some reason, I can't find it listed in my forums and a search on "und" would probably be a little cumbersome ...

If memory serves, a knowledgeable colleague pointed out that this problem only relates to one version of Word - Word 2000 (I have the Small Businesses version) - and there seems to be nothing which can be done about it. I have my "Autokorrektur" set up
... See more
Hi Hilary,

I have the same problem and actually posted more or less the same question about a year ago. For some reason, I can't find it listed in my forums and a search on "und" would probably be a little cumbersome ...

If memory serves, a knowledgeable colleague pointed out that this problem only relates to one version of Word - Word 2000 (I have the Small Businesses version) - and there seems to be nothing which can be done about it. I have my "Autokorrektur" set up to change "und the" to "and the" and I run my brain in "und-tracking" mode when I'm proof-reading and that pretty much does the trick. (Just in case you don't know, you can add "headquartered" and other words simply by right-clicking on them and selecting "Hinfügen")

Like you, I got a bit of a fright when I noticed and wondered what had changed, but I'm pretty sure that this problem has always been there. If you find a solution, please be sure to let me know.

Have a nice evening und take care

Ian

[Edited at 2004-10-07 19:28]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:01
English to German
+ ...
Ausschlusswörterbuch Oct 8, 2004

In German Word 2000, the "Ausschlusswörterbuch" is intended for this purpose. Here is the (difficult to find) How-To from Word Help.
(replace the plus signs by backslashes):

Klicken Sie auf der Symbolleiste Standard auf Neues Leeres Dokument.

Geben Sie die Wörter ein, die Sie in das Ausschlusswörterbuch aufnehmen möchten. Drücken Sie nach jedem Wort die EINGABETASTE.

Klicken Sie im Menü Datei auf Speichern unter.

Suchen Sie den Ord
... See more
In German Word 2000, the "Ausschlusswörterbuch" is intended for this purpose. Here is the (difficult to find) How-To from Word Help.
(replace the plus signs by backslashes):

Klicken Sie auf der Symbolleiste Standard auf Neues Leeres Dokument.

Geben Sie die Wörter ein, die Sie in das Ausschlusswörterbuch aufnehmen möchten. Drücken Sie nach jedem Wort die EINGABETASTE.

Klicken Sie im Menü Datei auf Speichern unter.

Suchen Sie den Ordner, in dem das Ausschlusswörterbuch gespeichert werden soll.
Wenn Sie mit Microsoft Windows 95 oder 98 arbeiten, speichern Sie Ihr Ausschlusswörterbuch entweder im Ordner
C:+(Windows-Ordner)+Anwendungsdaten+Microsoft+Proof
oder im Ordner
C:+(Windows-Ordner)+Profiles+Benutzername+Anwendungsdaten+Microsoft+Proof.

Wenn Sie mit Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 arbeiten, speichern Sie Ihr Ausschlusswörterbuch im Ordner
C:+(Windows-Ordner)+Profiles+Benutzername.

Bei mir in Windows XP heißt der richtige Pfad NICHT:
C:+Programme+Gemeinsame Dateien+Microsoft Shared+Proof
(dort stehen die .lex-Dateien)
SONDERN:
C:+Dokumente und Einstellungen+Bornemann+Anwendungsdaten+Microsoft+Proof
(dort stehen die .dic-Dateien)

Klicken Sie im Feld Dateityp auf Nur Text.

Geben Sie im Feld Dateiname den Namen des Ausschlusswörterbuchs ein.
Das Ausschlusswörterbuch muss den Namen des Hauptwörterbuchs erhalten, mit dem es verbunden ist, und mit der Erweiterung .exc versehen werden. Das deutsche Hauptwörterbuch heißt beispielsweise Mssp3ge.lex. Der Name des dazugehörigen Ausschlusswörterbuchs lautet Mssp3ge.exc.
(Mssp3en.exc)

Klicken Sie auf Speichern.

Wenn Sie in Word gefragt werden, ob Sie das Ausschlusswörterbuch im Format Nur Text speichern möchten, klicken Sie auf Ja.

Klicken Sie im Menü Datei auf Schließen.

Zum Aktivieren des Ausschlusswörterbuchs muss Microsoft Word neu gestartet werden.

(Und die wellig zu unterstreichenden Wörter dürfen erst jetzt geschrieben werden.)

[Edited at 2004-10-08 03:11]
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Harry Oct 8, 2004

Thanks for your help Harry, but for some reason it hasn't worked for me so far. I found the directory, created a file relating to the English lexicons in the directory but no joy so far.

Hilary - if it works for you, please let me know.

All the best

Ian

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:01
English to German
+ ...
Checklist Oct 8, 2004

Ian Winick wrote:
...but for some reason it hasn't worked for me so far. I found the directory, created a file relating to the English lexicons in the directory but no joy so far...

I needed about a dozen attempts to make it run..

Please verify:

- the name of your new file is really Mssp3en.exc

- Mssp3en.exc is a text file (in the end I created/changed it using notepad), which contains only the word und and you did hit Enter after the und

- Mssp3en.exc is in the folder where your .dic files are, not in the folder where the .lex files are (including Mssp3en.lex)
(this is the error I can see from your posting)

- you did close all Word windows before you test the function

- the language of the concerned paragraph in the Word file is set to English

- before typing the und in your Word file, you type a Word like Englisch (which should get underlined), to verify that the underlining is working correctly in that paragraph.

BTW, my German paragraphs accept English as well as Englisch, but the English paragraphs accept only English..

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:01
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Misspellchecker Oct 17, 2004

Ever so often, the Microsoft spellchecker comes up with some real gems and suggests the weirdest words when it encounters an unknown or incorrectly spelled word.

E.g.: Apparently the word "Alfalfa" is not in the dictionary. The suggestion (for German) is: Alfalpha
I guess that here a compounding algorithm, which is necessary to handle all the German compounds, gets carried away and interprets it as a compound of "Alf" (proper name) and the Greek letter "Alpha".

Th
... See more
Ever so often, the Microsoft spellchecker comes up with some real gems and suggests the weirdest words when it encounters an unknown or incorrectly spelled word.

E.g.: Apparently the word "Alfalfa" is not in the dictionary. The suggestion (for German) is: Alfalpha
I guess that here a compounding algorithm, which is necessary to handle all the German compounds, gets carried away and interprets it as a compound of "Alf" (proper name) and the Greek letter "Alpha".

The typo in "Alkoholgenus" is not recognized since it's interpreted as the compound Alkohol + Genus.
Arzneistoffreisätzung = Arzneistoff + reis + ätzung
Arzneistoffreissetzung = Arzneistoff + reis + setzung

Kennzeichnungsystem was correctly marked since it's missing the connecting s. However, the suggestion is: Kennzeichnunksystem! Kennzeichn + unk + system
I don't know why Kennzeichn would be accepted - maybe to allow verb inflections. "unk" is probably the imperative of the verb "unken".

So particularly typos in the nice long German words, where it's so easy to miss them, stand a good chance of not being detected.
Collapse

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Just use dictation software ... Nov 28, 2004

... such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and your problem is solved.

My preferred version of this software is XP because later versions enter words the software "thinks" are correct although they are just silly into its dictionary.

If you use a very fast PC (Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon with a clock frequency of 3 GHz or more), the recognition accuracy is fantastic.

(I wish, I had a PC with four Xeon 3.2 GHz processors which would drive the recognition accura
... See more
... such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and your problem is solved.

My preferred version of this software is XP because later versions enter words the software "thinks" are correct although they are just silly into its dictionary.

If you use a very fast PC (Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon with a clock frequency of 3 GHz or more), the recognition accuracy is fantastic.

(I wish, I had a PC with four Xeon 3.2 GHz processors which would drive the recognition accuracy close to 99.99 %.)

BTW, dictating requires careful proofreading because a dictation software can sometimes "understand" a phonetically similar word that is spelled completely different.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word spellcheck (UK/US English) won't find "und"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »