Mobile menu

How to convert a table in a .doc file into text?
Thread poster: Estefanía González

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2005

Hi!

I have to translate a .doc file in which the text appears in a table, since I am using Wordfast, I am having some difficulties in translating from the table. Thus, I have to convert the table into text.

Can anyone show me the light?

Thanks!

Estefanía

Direct link Reply with quote

Silvy Codde  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
table > convert Feb 23, 2005

Hi Estefania,

You simply select the table, choose Table from the top menu, then Convert > Table to Text.

That should do it.

Kind regards,
Silvy.

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:37
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
one of the ways Feb 23, 2005

General explanation how to convert Table to Text:

1)Mark the whole table.

2) From upper menu select Table > Convert > Table to Text

3) form the pop-up, which appear here, select the way to separate the text from each box of the table. If you do not need anything special, select "Other" and enter a space symbol: " " (without " marks).

I hope this will help you.

Specific way to translate tables with Wordfast is unknown to me. I always tell mysefl that I have to ask Yves how to do this, but I did not have a time to do this. As long as I read the manual, there is nothing about this matter. If someone have a solution how totranslate text in tables without prior conversation Table2Text, I will be curios to know.

Best regards,

Misho

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word help Feb 23, 2005

Hi Estefanía,

You've got help to convert tables to text already but here's a very useful link for Word help: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/index.htm

Regards,
Grace.

ps. here's another http://www.word-answers.com/
btw, Misho, the way to translate tables in word with WF is the same as with normal text. I do it quite often and as long as the table is fine and not corrupted, WF jumps from one segment to the next translatable one no problems.

[Edited at 2005-02-23 15:43]

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:37
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Graciela... Feb 23, 2005

but I believe that Word has an excellent Help support embedded in it. It's exactly the same as the paperback Instruction Manuel.

If you are in Word, just open the Help menu and type in what you want help for.

In your case, Esteafanía, type in "convert table into text" and just follow the (very complete, provided that one reads them slowly) instructions that appear on your screen.

There is not one single topic that Word Help does not cover.

Estefania, WordFast does not crash. Word does, probably because of WF but in very few instances.

Best of luck

Bruno Magne
Porto Alegre

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 24, 2005

Hi everyone!

Once I converted the tables I was able to translate the file painlessly.

Thousand thanks everybody for your help!

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert a table in a .doc file into text?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs