https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/37799-winxp_and_openvpn_removed_software_tap_connection_is_missing.html

WinXP and OpenVPN - removed software, TAP connection is missing
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:36
English to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2005

Hi,

This is really obscure.

I used to have Norton Anti-Virus on my PC but since it expired and I wanted to change to Kaspersky, I had to remove it from my PC.

This is a laptop running with WinXP, OpenVPN that keeps a tunnel open so I can connect to my gateway via WLAN.

I am pretty sure that before the deinstallation, there was a TAPdriver connection in my list of available network connections. Now, all I have is my WLAN connection and the stand
... See more
Hi,

This is really obscure.

I used to have Norton Anti-Virus on my PC but since it expired and I wanted to change to Kaspersky, I had to remove it from my PC.

This is a laptop running with WinXP, OpenVPN that keeps a tunnel open so I can connect to my gateway via WLAN.

I am pretty sure that before the deinstallation, there was a TAPdriver connection in my list of available network connections. Now, all I have is my WLAN connection and the standard connection via network card, which is disabled btw.

I was wondering if anyone else is using OpenVPN and can tell me how to get that TAP driver back into my list of connections. I tried the OpenVPN page, but they don't mention anything about the TAP driver.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Sonja
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Try reinstalling VPN Oct 12, 2005

Have you tried reinstalling OpenVPN? This device (and connection) is added during installation.
Don't forget to backup the config files

W.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP2 problem Oct 14, 2005

Thanks, Wojciech, for the comment.

However, installing and deinstalling multiple times did not work.

The removal of Norton's Anti-Virus software must have triggered something unexplainable.

Before that, everything was fine. The TAP driver was listed among available LAN connections and I was able to configure it.

The OpenVPN page states that SP2 on XP is not able to display TAP drivers v1.x because of its 3-digit hwid. Strange enough, I had SP2
... See more
Thanks, Wojciech, for the comment.

However, installing and deinstalling multiple times did not work.

The removal of Norton's Anti-Virus software must have triggered something unexplainable.

Before that, everything was fine. The TAP driver was listed among available LAN connections and I was able to configure it.

The OpenVPN page states that SP2 on XP is not able to display TAP drivers v1.x because of its 3-digit hwid. Strange enough, I had SP2 with a v1.5 TAP driver (which was installed before SP2) running, without experiencing that problem. So the deinstallation of Norton must have been the cause.

At the moment, the only valid option is to install OpenVPN v2, but that would require me to change it on the server too, which I currently don't have time for.

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-10-14 14:57]
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I will check the version at home Oct 19, 2005

I will check the version installed at my home computer...

Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinXP and OpenVPN - removed software, TAP connection is missing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »