Outlook can't use Word as editor
Thread poster: Can Altinbay

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:03
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2005

If I set Word as my e-mail editor, every time I open a new e-mail message or respond to an existing one, Outlook gives me the message: "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead."
I installed OfficeXP (2002) on this new (July) computer from a CD - I'm licenced, and the original machine died - and I'm wondering if the "try Office 2003" that came with the computer somehow confuses Outlook (registry settings?).

Does anyone have a clue? I wasn't successful poking around MSDN.

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:03
German to Spanish
Repair it! Oct 24, 2005

On the last menu in Outlook (with a ?).

Detect and repair (or something like this)

Saludos

Toledo

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:03
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast and Word as your e-mail editor Oct 24, 2005

Your profile mentions you're a Wordfast user. Some users have complained they can't use Wordfast together with Word as their e-mail editor. I'm using XP too and I just use the Outlook editor. Disabling segment and delimiter protection in Wordfast seems to be a solution, but maybe your problem isn't even related to Wordfast.

Regards,
Gerard

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions - and here is more information Oct 24, 2005

Repairing Outlook did not solve the problem.

I actually don't have Wordfast on my computer right now. I had it on another one, though I deleted it. It didn't affect Outlook as such, but the Wordfast stuff started showing up on my outgoing mail window.

I should also mention that I never touched the "try Office 2003" thing that came with my computer.

xxxtlmurray
English
I'd suggest not doing it. Oct 25, 2005

E-mails that go though the e-mail severs around the world have a tendency to break Word-created e-mails, or even those using Outlook's RTF. The recipient gets a .dat file that has to be decoded using special tools, if it's received at all.

The only totally reliable format is plain text. If something absolutely needs a certain look, use an attachment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook can't use Word as editor

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs