Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:42
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2005

This will certainly not be news for some, but I’ve just started closing my computer.

Now, whereas before when I used to turn it off, every time I turned it on again I would wait for windows to start up and settle down, start Trados, launch Word, go to the bookmark where I’d left work, launch Firefox and check the mail while waiting for above; now I just open the computer, it starts up and about two seconds later it’s ready to roll with all the programs I had open last time I c
... See more
This will certainly not be news for some, but I’ve just started closing my computer.

Now, whereas before when I used to turn it off, every time I turned it on again I would wait for windows to start up and settle down, start Trados, launch Word, go to the bookmark where I’d left work, launch Firefox and check the mail while waiting for above; now I just open the computer, it starts up and about two seconds later it’s ready to roll with all the programs I had open last time I closed it, Word is just where I left it, even open at the last Trados segment.

This is the Standby function, like I said not news to many, but anyway.
If you already know about it fine, if you don’t, try it because it’s great.

With a notebook/laptop you just close the thing, shutdown is faster too btw. With a tower or desktop just select Standby instead of Power Off. Do the occasional reboot to kick the registry back into shape.

If you have various accounts/users on the same PC you’ll have to select the relevant account after startup. If you’re the only user you can ditch the select user screen by unchecking the “Ask password” function in User Accounts on the Control Panel. I think that’s how I did it anyway.

Have fun.
Jo
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:42
English to German
+ ...
even faster Dec 30, 2005

Jo Macdonald wrote:
With a tower or desktop just select Standby instead of Power Off.

With WinXP you can select in System/Extended Energy Options to let the hardware power key switch into Standby instead to Power Off.

Another 3 clicks economised

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Even faster: switch off only the monitor Dec 31, 2005

Why would I shut down the system when it's working all right? I switch the monitor off, but only because I don't want to be disturbed, not to save power. Power saving is an issue only when running on batteries.
The stand-by function is not without setbacks on Win2000 at least, I tried it in the beginning but don't remember what was the trouble.

[Edited at 2005-12-31 05:39]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 00:42
German
+ ...
Thanks on behalf of Mother Nature: Jan 9, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Power saving is an issue only when running on batteries.

Sorry, but that confuses me a bit - are you saying that it's okay to waste energy, or what?

Regarding Standby mode: Yes, I guess if you're only going out to lunch or so, Standby is an option and it puts less stress on the machine than switching it off and back on.

But you should absolutely switch your PC OFF e.g. over night - actually, you should ideally disconnect it from the mains as the ATX power supplies of all modern PCs consume energy even when they're turned off.

I think Standby mode should mainly be used as an actual power SAVER, i.e. when you configure your PC to enter this mode after a certain period of inactivity instead of humming away unproductively.

Regards,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standby for 2-second startup. Ready to roll

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »