Thread poster: Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:20
English to German
+ ...
Feb 7, 2006

Don't know if that ever happened to you. While I was working on my computer, suddenly it turned itself off and started again. After the restart, I had a windows message (I am using XP) that a serious error ocurred which I should report to Microsoft. I couldn't make out, what the error was, but I reported it by clicking "yes" on the message box that showed up. Now everything seems to work fine, but I am terrified that some failure might occur and that the whole system breaks down. Do I need to wo... See more
Don't know if that ever happened to you. While I was working on my computer, suddenly it turned itself off and started again. After the restart, I had a windows message (I am using XP) that a serious error ocurred which I should report to Microsoft. I couldn't make out, what the error was, but I reported it by clicking "yes" on the message box that showed up. Now everything seems to work fine, but I am terrified that some failure might occur and that the whole system breaks down. Do I need to worry?Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you seen the famous "Blue Screen"? Feb 7, 2006

If yes, some information about the failure is stored on your PC, so a PC technician should be able to figure it out.
So then he would know what happened and how far it can be dangerous.

If not, but the PC shut down all of sudden, this might be a hardware fault. To be on the safe sid make a backup copy of your data and ouf your system.
As I encountered similar problem some time ago, I have not had a Blue Screen, but just PC restarting itself and then not working... This w
... See more
If yes, some information about the failure is stored on your PC, so a PC technician should be able to figure it out.
So then he would know what happened and how far it can be dangerous.

If not, but the PC shut down all of sudden, this might be a hardware fault. To be on the safe sid make a backup copy of your data and ouf your system.
As I encountered similar problem some time ago, I have not had a Blue Screen, but just PC restarting itself and then not working... This was my HDD, which was damaged and replaced by the manufactuer.

If I were in your shoes I would let some technies test the system.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
If this is what I had experienced... Feb 7, 2006

with my brand new PC then it can be just a small issue. Sudden switching off and starting again of my PC was happening from the start of its use. If your case should be the same - and let's hope it is - then there is a way to switch off this option (yes it is an option, however crazy it may sound!). Please look at the settings panel and the function of System Failure - there is a box Start again (if this is not the correct English name for it, sorry - my windows is a Polish one) - it should NOT ... See more
with my brand new PC then it can be just a small issue. Sudden switching off and starting again of my PC was happening from the start of its use. If your case should be the same - and let's hope it is - then there is a way to switch off this option (yes it is an option, however crazy it may sound!). Please look at the settings panel and the function of System Failure - there is a box Start again (if this is not the correct English name for it, sorry - my windows is a Polish one) - it should NOT be marked!! I cannot remember exactly but such kind of a box was factory pre-set and it was only necessary to uncheck it. After that is's been all right. (This was a sugestion presented on my PC manufacturer's website, so if in doubt maybe you should ask your PC makers for support). Good luck
Piotr
Collapse

scooty
scooty
English to French
computer too hot ? Feb 7, 2006

I had this problem with my laptop because I had it turned it on for days. My computer kept on turning off and showing the blue screen and it was difficult to have it start again.
The thing is that I had a problem with the ventilation.
If your computer is still guaranteed, check it with a professional. Good luck !

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Cooling problems are first suspects Feb 7, 2006

But there was a virus working like that once. It was long ago, so your system should be patched against it.

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Probably due to over-heating Feb 7, 2006

But of course it's impossible to say without more details.
Just make sure you always backup your work.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m using PCs sinde 1990 and notebooks since 2000... Feb 7, 2006

but never have had an overheating problem.
Nor my desktop nor my notebook have ever shut down due to heating problems.
While I can imagine a notebook might get in trouble due to compact construction, but when this happens to a desktop, you have a serious problem - let the PC be checkecd by a techie.
And even a notebook shooting down due to heat problems should have good reasons for that - when it happens all of sudden on a day with a normal temperature, something is wrong.
... See more
Nor my desktop nor my notebook have ever shut down due to heating problems.
While I can imagine a notebook might get in trouble due to compact construction, but when this happens to a desktop, you have a serious problem - let the PC be checkecd by a techie.
And even a notebook shooting down due to heat problems should have good reasons for that - when it happens all of sudden on a day with a normal temperature, something is wrong.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
it could be many things Feb 7, 2006

first of all, the PC rebooted itself because the box 'Automatically restart' in system failure is ticked. Otherwise, you would have got a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). To untick it - so you can see the error message in case it rehappens - go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>>Start up and Recovery and untick 'Automatically Restart' under System failure. The Blue Screen will give an error code which you can use to try and find out who the culprit is. As I said, it could be many things: CPU overheat... See more
first of all, the PC rebooted itself because the box 'Automatically restart' in system failure is ticked. Otherwise, you would have got a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). To untick it - so you can see the error message in case it rehappens - go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>>Start up and Recovery and untick 'Automatically Restart' under System failure. The Blue Screen will give an error code which you can use to try and find out who the culprit is. As I said, it could be many things: CPU overheating, faulty memory, faulty hard disk, faulty motherboard, sofware conflict, a virus! I've had a similar problem and I spent 1 month looking for a solution, although the PC was new. The vendor support team was absolutely useless and after replacing memory and motherboard insisted it was a software problem. It turned out to be that the CPUs (yes, I've got two) weren't getting enough voltage, so I upped it one notch in the Bios and everything was fine after that.

You could download the Microsoft debugging tool and analyse the minidump in Windows>Minidump. Everytime there is a major fault, Windows create a little report, stored in the Minidump folder. You can dowloand the tool here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

Just go to file>open crash dump and point it to the minidump folder. You should get more info on the fault.

One other thing yoy can do is to download the stress test tool 'Prime95'

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

Run the torture test, which will stress your PC to the maximum. If you don't get any message error, then it's fine; if you get a message error, go to the forum and look for suggestions. This is how I solved my problem.

http://www.mersenneforum.org/

Good luck!

Giovanni

P.S. Maybe it was just a glitch and, if doesn't happen again for a while, I would forget about it. Don't forget to back up all your valuable data in case your HDD fails.

[Edited at 2006-02-07 13:52]
Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Run windows update Feb 7, 2006

Run windows update regularly and make sure you keep your OS and antivirus updated. Do not install or uninstall resident software you do not really need. Run a registry clening utility.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sonja Feb 7, 2006

There could be hundreds of reasons of such behavior: software error, memory failure, hardware failure (particularly of graphic card, memory controller etc etc).

Right-click on the 'My computer' icon, choose Manage > Events log and look through the system logs and applications logs; the errors should be marked with red icons with an exclamation mark. This could give you an idea of what has happened.

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same problem Feb 7, 2006

I was surprised to discover it occured to others. I have an Asus motherboard, and the temperature, ventilation threshold was set to 70 degrees and it kept shutting off each time the temperature went over. Last summer I suffered from it, In Tunisia it's very hot during summertime. A friend told me that it should be better next time to take a different cooling system. The PC shuts off and restarts by itself.

I had the same problem days ago, and it's cold these days here. So I'm going
... See more
I was surprised to discover it occured to others. I have an Asus motherboard, and the temperature, ventilation threshold was set to 70 degrees and it kept shutting off each time the temperature went over. Last summer I suffered from it, In Tunisia it's very hot during summertime. A friend told me that it should be better next time to take a different cooling system. The PC shuts off and restarts by itself.

I had the same problem days ago, and it's cold these days here. So I'm going to check the above-suggested actions.

Now I automatically save my work very often...

Thanks really for this thread.

Ouadoud
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Well, perhaps you do not have children that need powerful machines... Feb 7, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

My son has a desktop with a radiator and a fan as big and loud as hell (Intel double core processor, mainboard and fan) and still some processor-intensive games can stretch the cooling system to its limits (there is an application monitoring processor temperature and it flashes a warning sometimes).

You do not need such machines for TRADOS.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not play games Feb 7, 2006

as someone has to pay for that
But to my luck my daughter uses her PC not to that extent, so we really never have had overheating problems.
That´s why I´m opposing - when the PC is used in the way we do, the CPU temperature should not be higher than 50 or perhaps 60 degree Centigrade. With proper cooling fan (not a water cooling, which should manage ever more heat) my CPU does not get above 45°C.
Now I´m wo
... See more
as someone has to pay for that
But to my luck my daughter uses her PC not to that extent, so we really never have had overheating problems.
That´s why I´m opposing - when the PC is used in the way we do, the CPU temperature should not be higher than 50 or perhaps 60 degree Centigrade. With proper cooling fan (not a water cooling, which should manage ever more heat) my CPU does not get above 45°C.
Now I´m working without Trados and the CPU has a temperature of 28°C (in my room 23°C, outside some 3 above zero).

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
true... Feb 7, 2006

Robert Zawadzki wrote:

You do not need such machines for TRADOS.

True, I have a dual core machine, with 2 graphics cards, but that's because I play games... and believe me, I have 5 big fans in my PC!

One other thing Sonja can do is to go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event viewer>System and see if there are any errors there.

Giovanni

Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your replies Feb 7, 2006

Thank you for all your tips. Unfortunately I have already had a lot of problems with this computer since I bought it in July last year. Mostly because it won't boot when I started it in the morning. I have already received a new motherboard and in two further cases cables to the hard drive were loose and had to be reconnected. Something must be definitely wrong with this computer, but like in Giovannis case, the vendor has not been very helpful so far (Giovanni, I wouldn't be surprised if you bo... See more
Thank you for all your tips. Unfortunately I have already had a lot of problems with this computer since I bought it in July last year. Mostly because it won't boot when I started it in the morning. I have already received a new motherboard and in two further cases cables to the hard drive were loose and had to be reconnected. Something must be definitely wrong with this computer, but like in Giovannis case, the vendor has not been very helpful so far (Giovanni, I wouldn't be surprised if you bought from the same vendor as me?) and everytime I reported a problem to them it took them several weeks to sort out in which time I had to revert to my old, very slow computer which was quite stressful!
I think for the moment, I am going to wait, if the problem becomes any worse. I have made all the necessary back ups, virus checks, MS updates etc. However, if it all gets more serious, I might even consider investing in a new computer as I have had enough of it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error Message in Windows XP - Computer suddenly turned off and started again

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »