Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2006

These last days my computers shuts-down suddenly! (without saying Bye!) which is very frustrating because my work fades away.

Anyone here has a clue about this mysterious behaviour of my PC?

Thanx in advance.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:14
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
some possible causes Mar 15, 2006

A new piece of hardware?
Environment (heat,statics)?
A new piece of software?
A new upgrade?
Always when working with XYZ, and never when doing something else?
What does your virus checker say about the state of thew system?

o work in protected mode for the time being and see if the problem goes away.
o (I know it is easy to say, but) move to another computer

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
reboot or shutdown ? Mar 15, 2006

If you're speaking of unexpected reboots, check the Internet, the problem is common and there are some system configuration options (with Windows XP) which may help, but I don't remember exactly.

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Back up everything now! Mar 15, 2006

A similar thing happened to my wife's computer about a month ago. It turned out that the hard drive had gone bad. The problem got progressively worse until the computer would not boot at all.

In case this turns out to be your problem, make sure all important files are backed up.

Good luck.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Start with the simplest Mar 16, 2006

Just an idea. Check your power connections. There could be a false contact such as a looseen plug or the such. You never know.

Buena suerte.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clean it! Mar 16, 2006

I'm not saying that you don't clean it... but sometimes the inner fan accumulates dust, thus it fails to work properly. Use a compressed air cleaner and clean the inside parts of the PC.

It happens to me very often!

Regards

Clarisa

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
is the local voltage stable Mar 16, 2006

Check voltage fluctuations, if necessary install a voltage stabilizer. I know this from a few friends from Mexico. Best Brandis

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good questions, doctor :) Mar 16, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

A new piece of hardware?

Well, I doubled it the RAM but that was 2 months ago and ther was no problem.

Environment (heat,statics)?

No, it's a cold apartment actually

A new piece of software?

Maybe, my wife has been downloading some programs. I don't want to divorce but the PC is feeding our family so I know who to choose

A new upgrade?

Possibly, the antivirus updates daily.

Always when working with XYZ, and never when doing something else?

It's irrespective of the programs I use.

What does your virus checker say about the state of thew system?

Nothing.

o work in protected mode for the time being and see if the problem goes away.

Good suggestion

o (I know it is easy to say, but) move to another computer

Well, once it's rebooting it behaves properly and leaves me work. Fortunately I have a laptop so I can follow this suggestion.

Vito, thank you so much

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Mar 16, 2006

bohy wrote:

If you're speaking of unexpected reboots, check the Internet, the problem is common and there are some system configuration options (with Windows XP) which may help, but I don't remember exactly.

Bohy: You are right. My computer doesn't shut-down, it suddenly reboots. The current rate is once a day.

Can:
Oh no! I hope the disk is OK because it was formatted recently. I don't want to backup again but I know I have too. Holly mess!

THANX EVERYBODY

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Similar problem Mar 16, 2006

Hi Yaotl,

I had a similar problem not too long ago. Initially, I thought there was a problem with the mains supply, such as micro power cuts causing the computer to automatically restart, but it wasn't affecting any other appliances, so I decided to dig deeper. Incidentally, a lot of programs were starting to crash for no apparent reason.

What I did was tell Windows to stop rebooting automatically. Go to Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Ad
... See more
Hi Yaotl,

I had a similar problem not too long ago. Initially, I thought there was a problem with the mains supply, such as micro power cuts causing the computer to automatically restart, but it wasn't affecting any other appliances, so I decided to dig deeper. Incidentally, a lot of programs were starting to crash for no apparent reason.

What I did was tell Windows to stop rebooting automatically. Go to Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Advanced tab > Settings (under Startup and Recovery) > uncheck "Automatically restart". This didn't stop the computer from shutting down automatically, but at least it left me with a "blue screen of death" with indications as to the problem (such as "irql_not_less_or_equal"), which apparently can be due to recently added RAM, video card errors, and so on, causing conflicts somewhere in the system.

Having said that, I never did figure out the culprit, so I wiped the whole system and started again from scratch. Ever since, the computer has been fine. A bit drastic as solutions go, but I didn't have much choice, as it was becoming more and more difficult to work through the program crashes and rebooting computer. If I'd had more time, I might have investigated more, but it was actually quicker to back up all my files and reformat the hard disk, especially as I had the feeling that the solution might be beyond my modest computing skills. Having said that, I've been gradually reinstalling all the programs and peripherals, and then checking how the computer behaves, in the hope that I might come across the software or device that was initially causing the problem.

Good luck,

Simon
Collapse

Magdalena Reyes
Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Battery? Mar 16, 2006

Hi,
well, it happened to me some time ago... and the solution worked for my notebook. I asked a friend who is quite an expert and he just mentioned....mmm could be the battery...shut down the computer and remove the battery, then reinstall it and turn the computer on again.
And that was all...
He said that even though the notebook works with power connections, it still needs the battery.
I hope it helps! Good luck!
bye!
Magdalena

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We'll see Mar 23, 2006

Supersim wrote:

Well, I've done those changes. We'll see in the following days (or hours)

Thanx.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 23, 2006

Magdalena Reyes Adasme wrote:

Hi, my Chilean friend

But I'm working with a desktop PC. Anyway, I'll keep in mind that solution for my laptop if one day has problems.

Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Cold flat Mar 25, 2006

"No, it's a cold apartment actually". Actually, a cold apartment doesn't prevent the computer from overheating. It's mostly a question of how well ventillated the insides are. I'm no hardware expert, but when I had to replace the power supply for the third time in 3 years, I came to the conclusion that putting your machine into a narrow desk niche with the back close (30 cm) to the wall is a sure way to slowly roast the supply. Of course, accumulating dust may be the cause too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abrupt shut-down

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »