Win 98: Only IE can access internet
Thread poster: Attila Piróth

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 30, 2006

I have some serious problems with my secondary computer (OS: Win 98, SE). Until recently it was working properly, connected to a router, and so file sharing with and printing through my primary computer worked well. Suddenly it must have lost some important configuration data, as

1.) Only IE can access internet. Mozilla Firefox - that I used quite frequently -, Opera - that I installed expressly to check this -, Outlook Express - that I do not use - simply cannot connect to internet.

2.) IE can access most websites - but not hotmail. It seems as if the browser did not process the thml code properly. As it is the only exception, it is really weird.

3.) The "Quick Launch" tray has been lost - and I cannot restore it. When I right-click on the tray and tick "Quick Launch", an area is separated off for it - but when I pull icons onto it from the desktop, the desktop icon disappears and nothing appears on the tray. I do not even have the desktop icon on the QL tray - which slows things down quite a bit.

4.) File sharing and printing no longer works. I tried to reconfigure the connection between the two computers with the old parameters - only to see the internet connection disappear even for IE.

5.) When I changed the IP configuration and then changed it back, IE worked again, AND hotmail also - but only until I restarted the computer.

I ran spybot and adaware, so malwares that they recognize cannot be the culprits.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Attila

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Have you checked... May 30, 2006

that your firewall or the Windows Firewall is not blocking the file sharing and/or Internet connection (if you are running Windows XP on your main computer)? Just a suggestion...

Giovanni

perfecta
United States
Local time: 00:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Back-up your files and then reinstall W98SE May 30, 2006

Something like this happened to me recently on my old laptop, which also runs W98SE. I paid to have it repaired, which mostly consisted of getting the OS reinstalled (I had lost the install discs). In the process, all my files were erased, so be sure first to back up (copy) your files onto external media, and then try re-installing W98SE.
As to why it happened to me: The tech who repaired my computer basically blamed the age of the computer and the OS.
Good luck!

Attila Piróth wrote:

I have some serious problems with my secondary computer (OS: Win 98, SE). Until recently it was working properly, connected to a router, and so file sharing with and printing through my primary computer worked well. Suddenly it must have lost some important configuration data, as

1.) Only IE can access internet. Mozilla Firefox - that I used quite frequently -, Opera - that I installed expressly to check this -, Outlook Express - that I do not use - simply cannot connect to internet.

2.) IE can access most websites - but not hotmail. It seems as if the browser did not process the thml code properly. As it is the only exception, it is really weird.

3.) The "Quick Launch" tray has been lost - and I cannot restore it. When I right-click on the tray and tick "Quick Launch", an area is separated off for it - but when I pull icons onto it from the desktop, the desktop icon disappears and nothing appears on the tray. I do not even have the desktop icon on the QL tray - which slows things down quite a bit.

4.) File sharing and printing no longer works. I tried to reconfigure the connection between the two computers with the old parameters - only to see the internet connection disappear even for IE.

5.) When I changed the IP configuration and then changed it back, IE worked again, AND hotmail also - but only until I restarted the computer.

I ran spybot and adaware, so malwares that they recognize cannot be the culprits.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win 98: Only IE can access internet

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs