Johan Jongman
Johan Jongman  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 22:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 19, 2006

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone here has had any success running SDLX (or any other CAT software) on one of the Vista betas? I'm running Vista RC1 and when I'm trying to run SDLX 2006, I'm getting some cryptic error messages and the application refuses to start... Any ideas?
Thanks
Johan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not yet Sep 20, 2006

It will take about a year or two after the final launch of any new operating system to let the software developers catch up again. If you want to run this Vista on your machine, you have to do without SDL Trados 2006 or earlier versions, I'm afraid. The same has to be said for the newest version of Office, SDL-software is not compatible to it.
So you better stick to XP for a while and wait for SDL Trados 2008 patch 2 or perhaps SDL Trados DV Wf 2009....
See more
It will take about a year or two after the final launch of any new operating system to let the software developers catch up again. If you want to run this Vista on your machine, you have to do without SDL Trados 2006 or earlier versions, I'm afraid. The same has to be said for the newest version of Office, SDL-software is not compatible to it.
So you better stick to XP for a while and wait for SDL Trados 2008 patch 2 or perhaps SDL Trados DV Wf 2009.

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

Johan Jongman
Ireland
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it to work Sep 20, 2006

Actually, after some fiddling around I did manage to get it to work. You need to turn off the User Account Protection feature. To do this, type "msconfig" on a command prompt, select the "Tools" tab and launch the "Disable UAP" item. Your PC will be restared and it should work.

If you want to try this (recommended only for experimenting, not for mission-critical work), you can downloa
... See more
Actually, after some fiddling around I did manage to get it to work. You need to turn off the User Account Protection feature. To do this, type "msconfig" on a command prompt, select the "Tools" tab and launch the "Disable UAP" item. Your PC will be restared and it should work.

If you want to try this (recommended only for experimenting, not for mission-critical work), you can download the Vista RC1 from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

It may also be necessary to remove and re-install SDLX after upgrading to Vista.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Congretulations! Sep 20, 2006

But is there any advantage in relation to XP?
Regards
Heinrich

Johan Jongman
Ireland
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really... Sep 20, 2006

... much for translation work, unless you want to experiment with speech recognition. Apart from that, it looks quite nice and it's free (for now).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Vista and SDLX 2006

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »