Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:43
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 18, 2006

A couple of weeks ago, I got a new laptop.
Vaio FE-770G with Windows Media Center Edition.

Whenever I "do" something to the files in the Windows Explorer folders, the changes are not displayed. E.g. if I copy/paste a file, it's invisible until I press F5. If I rename a file, the name apparently reverts back to its old name, until I press F5 and the changed name is displayed. If I delete a file, it still seems to be there... Maybe it's haunted or bewitched - it's getting clos
... See more
A couple of weeks ago, I got a new laptop.
Vaio FE-770G with Windows Media Center Edition.

Whenever I "do" something to the files in the Windows Explorer folders, the changes are not displayed. E.g. if I copy/paste a file, it's invisible until I press F5. If I rename a file, the name apparently reverts back to its old name, until I press F5 and the changed name is displayed. If I delete a file, it still seems to be there... Maybe it's haunted or bewitched - it's getting closer to Halloween after all.

Does anybody have any suggestions what I might try - short of reinstalling everything as was suggested as solution on the Internet?

Thanks!
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
AFAIK there was never automatic refresh Oct 19, 2006

Hi ! facility for explorer folders. Just press F5. That does it. Best Brandis

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Russian to English
Also interested Nov 3, 2006

I am also interested to find an answer to this. My PC at work has this behaviour, but only on some of the network folders. It's a real pain.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re-installation doesn't help Nov 3, 2006

I had to re-install my whole system, and it didn't cure the problem.
It seems to be less frequently, though (maybe just wishful thinking?).

But apart from being a nuisance, it can also impact your work: Today, I created a new folder for my translated files. The new folder was displayed. I added the files, zipped the folder and attached it to the e-mail to the client. Good thing I checked: The zipped folder was empty! The files had instead gone into an invisible new folder (don
... See more
I had to re-install my whole system, and it didn't cure the problem.
It seems to be less frequently, though (maybe just wishful thinking?).

But apart from being a nuisance, it can also impact your work: Today, I created a new folder for my translated files. The new folder was displayed. I added the files, zipped the folder and attached it to the e-mail to the client. Good thing I checked: The zipped folder was empty! The files had instead gone into an invisible new folder (don't ask me how). So when I clicked on the icon to create a new folder, it must have created two, one visible, the other invisible...

What you said about the network folders might be an important observation: Since I have two laptops, I keep my work files and other important files that I might want to access from the other laptop in the shared documents folder. I just did a quick non-conclusive test:

- Normal folder on hard drive: apparently no problems
- Shared Documents folder accessed via hard drive: apparently no problems
- Shared Documents folder accessed via My Network Place: problems

It might be an inherent flaw in the way the system handles files on the network.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No automatic refresh in Windows Explorer folders

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »