Where do temporary e-mail attachments go?
Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 09:51
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Dec 7, 2006

Hello. I would like to know if, when I delete an e-mail with an attachment, the attached file is automatically deleted or if it sits on the hard drive forever in those folders with funny numbers and letters.

Thanks.

Reed

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Reed Dec 7, 2006

It would be useful to know which email client do you use

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Outlook Express Dec 7, 2006

Natalie wrote:

It would be useful to know which email client do you use

Hi Natalie.

I use good ol' Outlook Express.

Reed

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:51
English to German
+ ...
OLK6A Dec 7, 2006

...looks almost like a Canadian postal code

Local Disk> Documents and settings>Owner>Local settings> Temporary internet files> OLK6A

hope this helps
j.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I myself don't use OE Dec 7, 2006

but here is some information for you.

Outlook never opens a file attachment directly but always saves it to disk first. The Microsoft article "OL2002: Opened Attachments Are Saved in a Subdirectory in Your Temporary Internet Files Directory" ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 ) explains that Outlook generates a random folder name for these temporary attachment copies for ea
... See more
but here is some information for you.

Outlook never opens a file attachment directly but always saves it to disk first. The Microsoft article "OL2002: Opened Attachments Are Saved in a Subdirectory in Your Temporary Internet Files Directory" ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 ) explains that Outlook generates a random folder name for these temporary attachment copies for each user. The folder path is stored in a Windows registry string value named OutlookSecureTempFolder in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security subkey (for Outlook 2002; change 10.0 to 11.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or to 9.0 for Outlook 2000).
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Johanna Dec 7, 2006

OLK6A is your folder name, but another user's folder name might be OLKC320.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
OL flew out of my Windows when Thunderbird flew in Dec 7, 2006

Natalie wrote:

OLK6A is your folder name, but another user's folder name might be OLKC320.

Local Disk> Documents and settings>Owner>Local settings> Temporary internet files>

That's the cookie jar, right? If anyone could tell me where Thunderbird stashes this stuff, I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Chris

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Thunderbird is what I use :) Dec 8, 2006

Thunderbird handles attachments differently than Eudora and some other e-mail clients. With Thunderbird the attachment data is stored as part of the message until you explicitly choose to save it. This matters to you, because it means that if you delete a message, you are also deleting that message's attachments, unless you have saved them!

P.S. There is a way to restore even a deleted message, though.

[Edited at 2006-12-08 00:16]

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
If you have opened the attachment, it may still be on your hard disk. Dec 8, 2006

My Outlook Express stores the files in one of the Content.IE5\ folders. Below is the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER'S NAME (it may be your name, if you have indicated your name as the user)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

You can also find it this way: 1. Open any attachment in Outlook Express; 2. Hit “Save As” and see where it stores the files.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
What makes Thunderbird different Dec 8, 2006

Natalie wrote:

Thunderbird handles attachments differently than Eudora and some other e-mail clients. With Thunderbird the attachment data is stored as part of the message until you explicitly choose to save it. This matters to you, because it means that if you delete a message, you are also deleting that message's attachments, unless you have saved them!

P.S. There is a way to restore even a deleted message, though.

[Edited at 2006-12-08 00:16]

I have to admit that I have heard that OE is not the best e-mail client out there. I once tried PocoMail, and really liked some of its advanced features. However, I found that it had some glitches in it and was not worth buying.

What makes Thunderbird a good choice? I am curious. Thanks.

Reed

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Well... Dec 8, 2006

Reed D. James wrote:
What makes Thunderbird a good choice? I am curious.

1) Thunderbird is free.

2) It is customizable and has lots of advanced options, settings etc.

3) It has advanced filtering options and effective tools for detecting junk mail.

4) It has advanced encoding options (as compared with a free version of Eudora, for example).

5) It is much more safe and stable as compared to Outlook.

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Clean and crisp Dec 8, 2006

[quote]Reed D. James wrote:

Natalie wrote:

What makes Thunderbird a good choice? I am curious. Thanks.

Reed

Hi Reed,

Apart from the very useful information Natalie has provided, take a look at my stumblebum efforts to change to it, which were swiftly remedied, thanks to helpful colleagues.

http://www.proz.com/post/434744#434744

It's worth it, if only for the sake of the intelligent spam cruncher (apart from the other benefits that Natalie mentions).

I have no regrets.

HTH
Chris

[Edited at 2006-12-08 23:40]

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Suck it and see Dec 9, 2006

Hi again Reed,

Natalie has now helped me to correct the minor fonts niggle I had with Thunderbird (see the string at the URL in my post above).

Consider her well-reasoned recommendation, download it and import your address book and mail. Make it your default E-mail client, play around with it and see what you think.

If you don't like it, reopen OE and make that your default.

Hope you find it as good as I do.

Best,

Chr
... See more
Hi again Reed,

Natalie has now helped me to correct the minor fonts niggle I had with Thunderbird (see the string at the URL in my post above).

Consider her well-reasoned recommendation, download it and import your address book and mail. Make it your default E-mail client, play around with it and see what you think.

If you don't like it, reopen OE and make that your default.

Hope you find it as good as I do.

Best,

Chris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where do temporary e-mail attachments go?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »