Local Settings\Temp : is it recommended to delete these files ?
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
Member (2003)
German to French
Mar 16, 2007

Hi,

I have juste installed the latest SDL Trados patch and for this, I had to unzip a huge archive into a folder which was created in the "temp" directory of my XP OS.
Now that I browse this directory, I can see that it is huge and contains hundreds of files.

Now my question is : is this recommended to empty this directory from time to time?
Does it have an influence on the performance of the system? Has it any secondary effects?

I regularly del
... See more
Hi,

I have juste installed the latest SDL Trados patch and for this, I had to unzip a huge archive into a folder which was created in the "temp" directory of my XP OS.
Now that I browse this directory, I can see that it is huge and contains hundreds of files.

Now my question is : is this recommended to empty this directory from time to time?
Does it have an influence on the performance of the system? Has it any secondary effects?

I regularly delete the Internet temporary files, but what to do with these .temp files of Windows ?

Any idea and recommendation are welcome!

Thank you
Sylvain
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you finished installing... usually safe Mar 16, 2007

Hello,

If you finished your install whatever created files in that directory (Trados in this case), it is usually safe to delete those files.

The effect of "disk parameters" on performance usually depends on how many physical discs you use, how much free drive you have and how often you update, create and delete files.

If you have around 1 Gb free, there's not much to bother about for most office (and translator...
See more
Hello,

If you finished your install whatever created files in that directory (Trados in this case), it is usually safe to delete those files.

The effect of "disk parameters" on performance usually depends on how many physical discs you use, how much free drive you have and how often you update, create and delete files.

If you have around 1 Gb free, there's not much to bother about for most office (and translator) settings.

But if you run a defragmentation on your disk from time to time, it is quite likely that you notice an improvement in performance. It's a long and boring process, but usually pays the effort.

Just in case you don't know how to do it:

- Open windows File explorer
- Look for your Disk and right click
- Select the Properties option
- In the pop-up, go to the Tools tab.
- Click the "Defrag now" (I don't know how it is actually written in English or French Win XP).
- Enjoy ! (maybe go for a walk... !)

Ruth
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Local Settings\Temp : is it recommended to delete these files ? Mar 16, 2007

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Yes. The defrag suggestion is also a good one.

HTH,
Benjamin

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:47
Spanish to French
+ ...
If you're not sure how to clean your system... Mar 16, 2007

You can use CCleaner. I have been using it since it was recommended on another forum. This way, you know that it will delete only things that can be deleted.

Also, FireFox offers to remove or not (you can check/tick the corresponding box) temp files (history, cookies, downloaded file etc.) when you close them.

Note: in Ccleaner, you can also choose which ones to remove.

[Modifié le 2007-03-16 15:58]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
temp and tmp can always be deleted Mar 16, 2007

Hi Sylvain,

Temp directories and tmp files can always be deleted after rebooting.

Regards,
Gerard

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:47
English to Bulgarian
Recommended - not necessarily; safe - yes. Mar 17, 2007

Sylvain,

Every time you use your computer, applications may write different files in the /windows/temp folder. These files contain temporary data and are only needed for (and used by) the current app session; normally they are deleted automatically when you close the session.

None of these files are intended for the user, so you can safely delete the contents of that folder.

In fact, it should typically be empty after reboot. It could contain files only if
... See more
Sylvain,

Every time you use your computer, applications may write different files in the /windows/temp folder. These files contain temporary data and are only needed for (and used by) the current app session; normally they are deleted automatically when you close the session.

None of these files are intended for the user, so you can safely delete the contents of that folder.

In fact, it should typically be empty after reboot. It could contain files only if:

a) they belong to an app that loads automatically at startup, such as a third-party firewall.

b) an app session was abnormally terminated. Then the app might not manage to delete the temporary files it created. Note that these files can rarely be used to retrieve user data from the broken session. In most cases they either contain binary data or have zero length.

c) an app is not set up to delete automatically its temporary files after closing. This is the case with installation files distributed as self-extracting WinZip archives (your case): by default they unzip to the /windows/temp folder and run the executable files from there.

I wouldn't say it is "recommended" to empty the temp folder - if you have ample disk space, the files there have no effect on your system's performance. Still, it doesn't hurt to do it every now and then, it's more a matter of disk hygiene. Some types of "leftout" temp files used to be a problem with older Win versions - but not with XP.

Note: You cannot do any harm by attempting to empty the temp folder. If some of the files are used by running apps, you will not be able to delete them anyway - they're read-only, so you'll get an error message.

Rule of thumb: if in doubt, sort the temp folder files by date/time. All files that were created before the beginning of your current Windows session can be safely deleted.

Another note: All the above refers specifically to the /windows/temp folder. There are other temp folders - like the one in the root directory, as well as those created by some applications. Deleting their contents could sometimes cause trouble.

HTH
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 17, 2007

Thank you all.

I already do defragment my HHD regularly, and I also use CCleaner. I only wanted to know if it was safe to delete the entire temp directory.
Now I know

Have a great weekend!
Sylvain

[Modifié le 2007-03-17 13:01]

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you invguy Mar 17, 2007

for your exhaustive reply
Have a great sunday!

[Modifié le 2007-03-18 12:26]

NoraBrown
NoraBrown
Local time: 22:47
Okay to delete temp files Mar 22, 2010

No, I am positive, that there is no risk in deleting ALL the temp files, think about it, what harm can be caused? None...I guess...
And just an advice, if you want to permanently delete your temp files or other details of your computer usage: Windows temporary files, deleted files in Recycle Bin, MS Office temporary files, scandisk file fragments, prefetch files and much more, see if History Killer Pro Can help u.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Local Settings\Temp : is it recommended to delete these files ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »