Words file and Vista..
Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 15:17
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 24, 2007

I recently bought a new laptop and something unusual happened to me: it seems that .doc files, which means all word files, cannot be opened, i'd even say "cannot be understood" by vista.
I never noticed before but today i had to deliver some files, I had them saved on a usb pendrive so i put it in, searched the files i needed and then a message popped out saying it was impossible to open the file.
So I tried a different path and opened microsoft word editor, opened the file from there and it worked.
But then i find out that the format could not be recognised by my client (windows xp).
I tried to change the extension, changing it from .wps (how it automatically saves my files) into .doc files.
I tried sending me the attachment with the modified extension and I could not open it (!!!) and since it was then too late, I still don't know if my client managed to open it or not.

Can someone explain me what to do? Someone maybe has the same problem?

pls help
fra

Direct link Reply with quote

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try this... Apr 24, 2007

Prova a togliere il segno di spunta in Strumenti/Opzione correzione automatica/Smart Tag. Pare che gli "smart tag" creino grossi problemi nel SO Vista...

Mirella

Forse può interessarti:

http://www.viasetti.it/installazione-vista.htm

[Edited at 2007-04-24 23:46]

Ulteriori informazioni qui:

http://www.microsoft.com/italy/athome/together/default.mspx

[Edited at 2007-04-24 23:49]

Your client might need to install a "compatiblity pack", as it seems that by opening and saving your old files you converted them to the new file format supported by Vista:

http://tinyurl.com/ykums3

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:05]

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:09]

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:16]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Dear Mirella Apr 24, 2007

Could you please add an English version of your comment for the benefit of all users who do not know Italian?

Thank you

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ooops - sorry! Apr 25, 2007

Sorry Natalie, I hadn't realized that I was posting on an English-language forum!
It seems that *some* problems can be solved disabling the "Smart tags" option in the Tool menu (in Word).
I can't find any relevant link in English (isn't that weird?), but Microsoft swears that there are no compatibility issues - as long as you download a so-called "compatibility pack" _AND_ the latest updates/patches:

http://tinyurl.com/ykums3

HTH,

Mirella

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:08]

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:14]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Posting deleted Apr 25, 2007

I wrongly understood your posting and my reply had nothing to do with it. Sorry.

Clarisa

[Edited at 2007-04-25 01:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words file and Vista..

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs