Disk space dissapearing suddenly, alarmingly
Thread poster: Leticia Klemetz, CT
mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 01:08
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re-install Sep 13, 2007

Seems like in your situation it would be the best idea to save the data that that you need and can;t replace to an external drive (or recordable media) and to re-install the entire OS, I assume Windows, in your case. Looks like either Panda or your firewall protection hasn't performed their duties well and you have fallen hostage of unauthorized access as Mr. Csaba Ban describes above.

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick note Sep 13, 2007

Dear colleagues,

you´ve been so helpful!
I am going to use recovery points to go back to last week, and try some of the tips on cleaning the system. But that will have to be tomorrow - now I´m writing in my Blackberry because internet refuses to work.
It took almos 4 hours but I managed to check the system when starting up, and it was error-free (it says).
Those 5 gb I managed to obtain sacrificing files today, are dropping like sand in a sand watch, now I´m dow
... See more
Dear colleagues,

you´ve been so helpful!
I am going to use recovery points to go back to last week, and try some of the tips on cleaning the system. But that will have to be tomorrow - now I´m writing in my Blackberry because internet refuses to work.
It took almos 4 hours but I managed to check the system when starting up, and it was error-free (it says).
Those 5 gb I managed to obtain sacrificing files today, are dropping like sand in a sand watch, now I´m down to nearly 4.
If all else fails, I´ll reinstall the system. (sih)
thanks and good night!
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:08
English to Hebrew
+ ...
before reinstalling Sep 13, 2007

Before you jump ahead and reinstall the system, try to turn off system restore, and well as Hibernation (to do so right click on the center of yor screen > properties>screen saver > power> hibernqtion tab > uncheck the Enable Hibernation option)
Noth of these functions cosume a lot of disk space and can suddenly get out of control (as i suspect this is the case here).
After that run the CCLEANER application i have recomended on, and restart the computer.
Now check please to se
... See more
Before you jump ahead and reinstall the system, try to turn off system restore, and well as Hibernation (to do so right click on the center of yor screen > properties>screen saver > power> hibernqtion tab > uncheck the Enable Hibernation option)
Noth of these functions cosume a lot of disk space and can suddenly get out of control (as i suspect this is the case here).
After that run the CCLEANER application i have recomended on, and restart the computer.
Now check please to see if tere is a change in the disk usage,
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:08
English to Turkish
+ ...
turn off system restore Sep 13, 2007

fast text wrote:

Before you jump ahead and reinstall the system, try to turn off system restore

And disconnect any internet - network connections. Use another computer to download a rootkit removal program, copy it to a CD and run on your laptop.

Actually I recommend professional support at this stage, otherwise you may lose many important documents - data.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Do you work with/use video? Sep 13, 2007

My first suggestion would have been to use Windows' Disk Cleanup, to get rid of temp files (and not only the *.tmp ones). Microsoft Word simply loves to store tons of junk on your hard disk.

The second one happened to me one of these days. I was burning the subtitles onto a video with VirtualDub. It was an AVI file, maybe 20-30 minutes, but with DVD resolution (720x480 pixels at 29.97 fps). In the process, some 60 GB of free space suddenly vanished. I had simply forgotten to select
... See more
My first suggestion would have been to use Windows' Disk Cleanup, to get rid of temp files (and not only the *.tmp ones). Microsoft Word simply loves to store tons of junk on your hard disk.

The second one happened to me one of these days. I was burning the subtitles onto a video with VirtualDub. It was an AVI file, maybe 20-30 minutes, but with DVD resolution (720x480 pixels at 29.97 fps). In the process, some 60 GB of free space suddenly vanished. I had simply forgotten to select a compression codec, so it was saving uncompressed AVI.

If you handle video files, check if there is a behemoth of an AVI file lurking.
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:08
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Email client? Sep 14, 2007

I had a similar problem last year, after long hours playing hide and seek with the temp files, I learnt that my email client of the time is a hard disk space hog (it was "Thunderbird" the Mozilla email thingy). That program took gigabytes of my valuable hdd space for only a few emails and attachments.

From that point, I changed my email client to a more decent one (not Outlook, a "decent" one!) and the hard disk space issue was history.

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So which? Sep 14, 2007

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

I had a similar problem last year, after long hours playing hide and seek with the temp files, I learnt that my email client of the time is a hard disk space hog (it was "Thunderbird" the Mozilla email thingy). That program took gigabytes of my valuable hdd space for only a few emails and attachments.

From that point, I changed my email client to a more decent one (not Outlook, a "decent" one!) and the hard disk space issue was history.

Many say the Office Outlook (I use 2003) is trash.
Today somebody told me Thunderbird is good, but the Windows outlook is better.
Which one do you consider "decent"?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Thunderbird is a very good emailer Sep 14, 2007

You should only customise it so that your email folders would be located at any other disk except C:\

And you should remember that from time to time you should compact the folders. That's all.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:08
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Barca and PocoMail Sep 16, 2007

I'm using PocoMail right now. Give it (and Barca from the same developer) a try, very feature rich and safe.

http://www.pocosystems.com/home/index.php

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update Sep 16, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I went to talk to a computer expert, who checked the logs in my computer and it seems I have an additional user since last week (when the weird things started happening). If I keep offline it seems to be somewhat ok, so I will have to log off quickly. I am using another computer these days.
He recommended I reinstall the whole sheebang. I'm afraid I will have to. Everything else is failing.

Thanks for all of your ideas and your prompt reply! I am
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I went to talk to a computer expert, who checked the logs in my computer and it seems I have an additional user since last week (when the weird things started happening). If I keep offline it seems to be somewhat ok, so I will have to log off quickly. I am using another computer these days.
He recommended I reinstall the whole sheebang. I'm afraid I will have to. Everything else is failing.

Thanks for all of your ideas and your prompt reply! I am glad this wonderful source of ideas is here for others to consult in the future.

All the best,

Tisha
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Another good emailer Sep 23, 2007

Pegasus:
http://www.pmail.com/downloads_maine_t.htm

I use it for years and years now (after Outlook erased all my e-mails, received files and purchase orders!!).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disk space dissapearing suddenly, alarmingly

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »