https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/97948-reinstalling_windows_xp_how_to_save_outlook_express_files_and_address_book.html

reinstalling Windows XP how to save Outlook Express files and address book
Thread poster: Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 23, 2008

Hi, all,
I need to reinstall my Windows XP.

My idea is to use external HD to move there all files I want to keep and then reinstall the program.

Someone suggested to use Outlook ExpressBackup program (from Genie Soft). I installed it (it's free) and it seemed promising as it allows to backup Favorites as well.
However for some reasons I can not use it - every time when starting a backup process it turns itself off.

Please advise how i can save m
... See more
Hi, all,
I need to reinstall my Windows XP.

My idea is to use external HD to move there all files I want to keep and then reinstall the program.

Someone suggested to use Outlook ExpressBackup program (from Genie Soft). I installed it (it's free) and it seemed promising as it allows to backup Favorites as well.
However for some reasons I can not use it - every time when starting a backup process it turns itself off.

Please advise how i can save my Favorites from Internet Explorer and Files/Messages/Addresses from Outlook Express 6 or MS Outlook 2002)?

And my idea, after reinstallation, to switch to Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird moving my Favorites and messages/files/addresses there respectively.

Thank you,
Vladimir

[Edited at 2008-02-23 07:00]
Collapse

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:02
English to Russian
Outlook Express Backup Wizard Feb 23, 2008

Hi Vladimir,

I've been using Outlook Express Backup Wizard. Backups OE messages and address book; however it doesn't support MS Outlook or IE favorites.

HTH.

Best regards,
Maxim Manzhosin

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
In MS Office Outlook 2003 there is File->Export/Import option Feb 23, 2008

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:
Files/Messages/Addresses from Outlook Express 6 or MS Outlook 2002)?

In MS Office Outlook 2003 there is Import/Export option in File menu using various formats (Access, Excel, .csv with deparation by commas or tabs). Now I exported successfully My Contacts file into .csv (Windows, separation by commas). Hope that in MS OO 2002 the same is available.

[Edited at 2008-02-23 11:29]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Maxim: it does Feb 23, 2008

Well, it actually, can backup IE favorites and all IE settings, plus it can backup all files you want.
The thing is the program did not want to work for me) closing itself everytime I tried.
I mentioned Outlook as a n option as in my case it nearly mirrors mesaages in the O.Express.

Maxim Manzhosin wrote:
I've been using Outlook Express Backup Wizard. Backups OE messages and address book; however it doesn't support .... IE favorites.

HTH.

Best regards,
Maxim Manzhosin

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Gennady: addresses but not folders with messages Feb 23, 2008

Yes, I can export address book... I did as an Excel file; but how about folders and messages.

And how to save my Favorites?

Gennady Lapardin wrote:
In MS Office Outlook 2003 there is Import/Export option in File menu using various formats (Access, Excel, .csv with deparation by commas or tabs). Now I exported successfully My Contacts file into .csv (Windows, separation by commas). [Edited at 2008-02-23 11:29]

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Subfolders/messgs exporting is OK Feb 23, 2008

Folders/Subfolders and messages (every component chosen: every From and every To and every Text and whatever) exporting is OK (in !! 2003 !!)

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Yes, I can export address book... I did as an Excel file; but how about folders and messages.

And how to save my Favorites?

About importing/exporting Favorites: I remember to have read recently in some forum here at Proz. Try to search just simply "Favorites", and the date should be max. last two months. hth
If it (the forum) will be not-English (suppose in Italian), you may contact me freely through Profile page.

[Edited at 2008-02-23 19:21]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Favorites are done but not the Outlook Express folders Feb 24, 2008

IE Favorites can be exported very nicely - the list (bookmarks) is a real pleasure to see)

With Outlook Express folders / messages - it says that it can only be exported to MS Outlook (or Exchange).
))

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

Folders/Subfolders and messages (every component chosen: every From and every To and every Text and whatever) exporting is OK (in !! 2003 !!)
Edited at 2008-02-23 19:21]

gfe
gfe
Local time: 07:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Possible but... Feb 24, 2008

I have successfully copied Outlook Express folders from one PC to another, both in Win2000, and I expect it would not be very different with XP, but never tried.
It is a manual process, not destructive, but requires a minimum of manuality.
If you are interested, contact by e-mail (ProZ profile). The detailed explanation is longish and not of general interest, I suspect.
GFE

Roberto Tokuda
Roberto Tokuda  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
You can do manually for OE messages Feb 24, 2008

Hi!

Under menu->tools->option->maintenance in OE, there is a "folder" button that indicates the directory where OE store the messages.

Simply backup all contents of this directory and restore on the new installation at the same directory. You can edit this destination directory if you desaire.

(make sure both OE is the same version).

Also, this is another method to backup all your mails in another storage media.

Regards
Robe
... See more
Hi!

Under menu->tools->option->maintenance in OE, there is a "folder" button that indicates the directory where OE store the messages.

Simply backup all contents of this directory and restore on the new installation at the same directory. You can edit this destination directory if you desaire.

(make sure both OE is the same version).

Also, this is another method to backup all your mails in another storage media.

Regards
Roberto
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

reinstalling Windows XP how to save Outlook Express files and address book

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »