I have two Windows systems installed on my laptop, but they don’t appear on screen at startup!!!
Thread poster: Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 5, 2008

Hi All

I normally install two Windows systems on two different partitions on my laptop. This is a precaution measure to save my work in case the system I work on goes down.
Two systems, one on partition C and one on partition D.
I had problems with the one on partition C. I reinstalled it. But when I start my laptop, it goes directly to the Windows version installed recently on C partition. It does not give me the option to select which system I want to use as usual.
... See more
Hi All

I normally install two Windows systems on two different partitions on my laptop. This is a precaution measure to save my work in case the system I work on goes down.
Two systems, one on partition C and one on partition D.
I had problems with the one on partition C. I reinstalled it. But when I start my laptop, it goes directly to the Windows version installed recently on C partition. It does not give me the option to select which system I want to use as usual. Does any one have explanation for this?
How can I let my laptop ask me on every startup to select the system I want?

Thanks for your kind help!

Waleed
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:07
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Waleed Mar 5, 2008

Could you be somewhat more specific, please?

Which Windows versions do you have?

Which version is at which partition?

Are both partitions primary?

Are you able to reach the other partition? If no, then:

How did you run the reinstallation? By just overwriting the existing OS? Or starting from disk formatting? If yes, then:

Are you sure that you haven't occassionally formatted the whole disk instead of a single partition only?

Waleed Mohamed wrote:
I normally install two Windows systems on two different partitions on my laptop.

One more question - simply of interest: does this mean that you have a third partition where you keep your data? Otherwise what is the sense of two system partitions?

[Edited at 2008-03-06 00:00]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
startup and recovery Mar 5, 2008

try this:
click start - control panels - system

on the system window, click advanced (tab). then click settings (button) on startup and recovery.

on startup and recovery, check the time to display list of operating s
... See more
try this:

on the system window, click advanced (tab). then click settings (button) on startup and recovery.

on startup and recovery, check the time to display list of operating systems, then increase the seconds to display the list.

then click ok.
Collapse

Waleed Mohamed
United Arab Emirates
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some answers Mar 6, 2008

Natalie wrote:

Could you be somewhat more specific, please?

Which Windows versions do you have?

Which version is at which partition?

Are both partitions primary?

Are you able to reach the other partition? If no, then:

How did you run the reinstallation? By just overwriting the existing OS? Or starting from disk formatting? If yes, then:

Are you sure that you haven't occassionally formatted the whole disk instead of a single partition only?

Waleed Mohamed wrote:
I normally install two Windows systems on two different partitions on my laptop.

One more question - simply of interest: does this mean that you have a third partition where you keep your data? Otherwise what is the sense of two system partitions?

[Edited at 2008-03-06 00:00]

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for your response!

Both systems are WinXP with service pack 2.

Yes I can reach the other partition.

Yes, the two partition are primary.

Yes, I am sure I did not format the whole disk.

I have other three partitions which I use for storing my files.

Thanks again Natalie for your kind help!

Still looking for a solution!

Waleed

Waleed Mohamed
United Arab Emirates
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very useful tip, but .. Mar 6, 2008

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

try this:

on startup and recovery, check the time to display list of operating systems, then increase the seconds to display the list.

then click ok.

Thanks Mulyadi for this useful tip and photos!

But I found that seconds are already 30 seconds. I changed them to 28 seconds, and restarted my laptop but did not work.

I noticed that there is only one system in the "default operating system" dropdown list. They should be 2?

There is also "Edit" button which opens the options file. Should I do any changes in this file?

Thanks for your kind help!

Waleed

Waleed Mohamed
United Arab Emirates
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
text in boot file Mar 6, 2008

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

try this:

then click ok.

Hello again Mulyadi,

Here is a copy of the boot file. Please read and let me if I should make any changes:
---------------------------------------------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=28
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your help!

Waleed

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
easybcd Mar 6, 2008

from the boot file, it is clear that you only have one operating system. to make things easier, you can use a freeware, i.e., easybcd, to manage multiple os on your laptop.

you can download it h
... See more
from the boot file, it is clear that you only have one operating system. to make things easier, you can use a freeware, i.e., easybcd, to manage multiple os on your laptop.

you can download it here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have two Windows systems installed on my laptop, but they don’t appear on screen at startup!!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »