Mobile menu

Translating XML files in Wordfast
Thread poster: xxxVanda Wilcox
xxxVanda Wilcox
Local time: 22:56
Italian to English
Apr 11, 2008

I know there have been a couple of posts on this recently but none of the proposed methods seem to work properly. I'm hoping someone is more technically adept than I am because this has made me tear my hair out.

I can a) get the source file open in word, and b) translate it without any problems. It's the output which is not working.

I have tried the methods proposed here:
but without any success. That is to say, I can produce a file containing the translation and all the original XML tags, and which claims to be an .xml file - but when the client attempts to open the file in their software (ready to place online) it no longer works. Between the original source version and my translation, pasted into the same file, there is some mysterious difference.

I have tried both using CnP from a Notepad file into Word, followed by saving as a Unicode file, and using "Confirm conversion on opening" under Tools > Options > General in order to get the .xml file into Word. Not too many problems there. But maybe it makes a difference in some hidden way?

I then downloaded PlusTools and used the Tagging and Untagging options to translate and then, in theory, revert to the original format. The translation/tagging process worked just fine. But the file outputted by this process, though it has an .xml format and looks to me to be identically formatted to the source, still doesn't work correctly when the client tries to open it at their end. I have absolutely no idea why.

Any suggestions at all? Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Szilas Cseh
Local time: 22:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
send the files to an XML expert Apr 12, 2008

Maybe you should try sending the files to a person who makes a living by working with XML files. An expert should be able to spot the problem quite easily.

But before you do that, check the header of both XML files (in Notepad) and check whether the encoding of the files matches the language.

Hope this will be of some help...

[Edited at 2008-04-12 14:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating XML files in Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs