Wordfast and ABBYY PDF Transformer - tables
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
German to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2008

(This question was also posted to the WF YahooGroup, but it hasn't appeared there yet.)

My machine is running Word 2003 and WordFast 5.52z. When I convert a file containing tables from PDF to Word using ABBYY PDF Transformer and then try to translate it using WF, the segments "disappear" partly or completely behind/under the table gridlines. The regular text is fine, however.

I searched here and in the YahooGroup for information concerning ABBYY and found some useful ti
... See more
(This question was also posted to the WF YahooGroup, but it hasn't appeared there yet.)

My machine is running Word 2003 and WordFast 5.52z. When I convert a file containing tables from PDF to Word using ABBYY PDF Transformer and then try to translate it using WF, the segments "disappear" partly or completely behind/under the table gridlines. The regular text is fine, however.

I searched here and in the YahooGroup for information concerning ABBYY and found some useful tips about the compatibility problems between PDF Transformer and WF, but not the solution to this particular problem. I am assuming this has to do with how ABBYY sets up the tables in Word - is there a setting (row height? spacing?) I can change to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Nathalie Elson
Nathalie Elson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:43
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Table properties Apr 18, 2008

Hi Daina,

I've had this problem before because the rows had a fixed height.

If you go to "table", "table properties", select the "row" tab. If you change the row height from "exactly" to "at least", this should work. The row height will then adapt to the length of your text.

Hope this helps!

Nath

ilija5150
ilija5150
North Macedonia
Local time: 20:43
Macedonian to English
+ ...
What Nathalie said Apr 18, 2008

Additionally, just to be on the safe side make sure that the "Automatically resize to fit contents" box is ticked in the following dialogue. First highlight the whole table then go to Table/Table Properties/Options

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try also Web view Apr 19, 2008

Someone found out, that in web-view this problem disappears. I'm not sure. Formatting the table may be necessary anyway, if the translation is longer than the source.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the tips! Apr 19, 2008

I tried changing "Exactly" to "At least" in Web view (for good measure), and voila! It worked. Thanks very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and ABBYY PDF Transformer - tables

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »