Can TRADOS and Wordfast be installed on the same computer
Thread poster: Woodstock
Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:21
German to English
+ ...
May 6, 2008

I have checked the discussion forums for this topic, and found quite a lot of useful information concerning compatibility, but I was unable to find the answer to my question, which is whether or not they can both be installed on the same computer without causing problems.

Your input or link to where I can find the right answer would be appreciated, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but... May 6, 2008

Woodstock wrote:
Whether or not they can both be installed on the same computer without causing problems.

Yes, but when WF is running, it will disable Trados, and when WF isn't running, Trados will respond to your keyboard shortcuts. If you're a very skilled user, you can tell WF not to disable Trados, so that you can use them at the same time...

Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have both on the same computer... May 6, 2008

And no problems so far. But I am not a great expert so, maybe, if you use all sort of shortcut keys, some of them may cause conflicts.

Cheers,
Idoia

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 6, 2008

Thanks for the help. I wanted to try Wordfast for an upcoming project that will have several translators, so I was told it would be very simple to use Wordfast to create a glossary, which will have to be done daily. I have Trados/Multi-Term, but have never used it only for that purpose, and it is a good opportunity to compare the two CATs.

Edited to add: So no, I don't need to use them simultaneously, thank goodness!

[Edited at 2008-05-06 18:27]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:21
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
MS Word, WordFast and Trados May 7, 2008

I find only conflicts when I run Trados and WordFast on MS Word. In general practice [e.g. for Trados 2007], I will use only TagEditor with Trados and MS Word with WordFast (to translate XML, PowerPoint, Excel, Word and many other files.)
WordFast TM response is a bit smart if compared with Trados Workbench, however.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

itaharold
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast in parallel with Trados May 18, 2008

Hi
It is not advisable to run both on the same system, as you are liable to cause all sorts of havoc. WF and Trados do not really "support" each other, i.e. they are not exactly engineered to produce a high standard of compatibility . After having installed both on my PC, I met all sorts of problems up to runtime crashes of Trados appplications and frozen operating system. I had to remove WF to get things sorted out again. My suggestion, run WF on a virtual machine which does not interfere with your Trados installation, or on another PC.
By the way, the term extraction functionality of WF is rather rudimentary and you can use that for home purposes. I would not recommend it for professional applications.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can TRADOS and Wordfast be installed on the same computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs