Sonja Kroll  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:28
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 1, 2008

Hi everyone,

have you ever experienced anything like this?
I cannot use Word anymore since I've installed Wordfast. A translation might be possible with loads of luck and enough prayers that the fist segment might open at the fifth trial instead of Word breaking down, but just opening a .doc to edit a text is plainly impossible. Whenever I perform an entry, the prog will simply close, either telling me that it has experienced some problem (not telling which), then restart and restore my text (rather useless since it will close and restart again, and so on) - or simply switching itself off without bothering to comment.
Word seems to run somewhat stable when I tell it in the macro security not to trust Visual Basic projects, but I cannot edit anything without trusting VB, and with the trust field checked, Word just closes as described.
This has been going on for weeks, it seems to get worse, my nerves are in a disastrous state. I used to flee to my notebook, but the symptom has spread to it.

Has anyone solved this kind of trouble yet?

Kind regards,
Sonja

(€: Correction)

[Edited at 2008-06-01 10:31]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Funny you should say that... Jun 1, 2008

Oddly enough, I did experience a bout of something similar ages ago, using an early version of W/F and something as ancient as Word 97 or similar.

I never associated the odd behaviour specifically with W/F, though I did find it very prone to crashing if ever I was foolish enough to try to use it.

However, I don't know what eventually cured it, it just seemed to go away without my knowing what if anything I'd done.

I would certainly start by uninstalling the W/F template from the startup folder, and if necessary backing up, deleting and re-creating your normal.dot, if you haven't already tried that...

Best of luck, I know just how frustrating you must be finding it!

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Old version - well, perhaps that's the point... Jun 1, 2008

That was a good hint, thank you, my version of Word is quite old indeed.
I couldn't bring myself to switch to the new version as I was told that the layout has been changed completely - of a program that is a mission impossible in itself (obviously the formatting has always been controlled from Beteigeuze) even without trouble like that or a new parcours of unknown buttons. But it seems I have no choice.

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Maybe time to upgrade or downgrade Jun 1, 2008

Hi Sonja,

If you are using an old version of Word (which one?) I would suggest upgrading to a newer version of Word. One of the advantages of Wordfast is that there are constant upgrades and new or improved features. The disadvantage is that you have a community of users who are good about reporting bugs in new releases but most of them use newer versions of Word so aren't reporting bugs with old versions of Word.
I think this is one reason why a lot of Mac bugs go unreported: most of the Mac users only use Wordfast's basic features (correct me if I'm wrong Mac users). During intermediate level trainings, we look at more advanced features and often come across bugs.

The other solution may be to downgrade to an older version of Wordfast. You can join the mailing list via the website (www.wordfast.net) and ask someone to send you a copy (or I could).

Otherwise, Tony had a good solution. Uninstall WF and recreate Normal.dot. This usually works.

Good luck,

John

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, John, Jun 1, 2008

now I've got three options to try to improve the situation (well, four... I could just throw the stuff out of the window. Wouldn't solve the problem but make me feel better - a desirable outcome). I hope one of them works and will report (which might take a few days due to several running projects).
I'd be very thankful though if you could provide me with the old Wordfast version. Please see www.netztext.eu/impressum for my contact data. Thank you very much! @-->--->----

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why don't you report your version? Jun 1, 2008

If you seek for help in the forums the rule is that you report your operating system, the version of Word and the version of Wordfast. Otherwise nobody can help you properly.
If you use very old versions of Word you could try older versions of Wf, like 4.22, which is available at the Wordfast download site.
Regards
Heinrich

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Initially I forgot to report them, Jun 1, 2008

then the possible solutions seemed convincing.
Here we are. Word 2002, Wordfast 5.52zx. Sorry!

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I have this happen occasionally with Word Auto Grammar Check function on Jun 1, 2008

After switching the automatic grammar check off, the problem was gone. (What the real use of it, anyway, as long as you still check the grammar as part of the routine spell and grammar check on the finalising stage?)

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jun 1, 2008

I've tried your idea, but it wasn't successful.

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I also had to downgrade to 5.51t Jun 1, 2008

as I found the 5.52 made a mess of my glossaries created with earlier versions (reorganising them didn't help, either). I can remember some segmentation problems, too.

ilija5150
Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Try an older version of WF Jun 9, 2008

Try version 4.22 from the following link: http://staging.transperfect.com/_staged_wordfast/store_download.html

I have WF 5.52 installed on both computers at home using Word 2002 and at work with Office 2007, and I find my home PC works much faster.

[Edited at 2008-06-09 10:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast kills Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs