Mobile menu

Translation beneath the original text
Thread poster: xxxwonita
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 19:55
Jun 2, 2008

I am translating the website as word file for a client.

He wants to have the translation written beneath the source text, paragraph by paragraph.

The only way I can think of is to translate the file with Wordfast first, then paste the translation in the source. Do you have a better way to do it?

Thank you.
Bin

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:55
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Work with tables Jun 2, 2008

Here's the way I would go about it... Note my descriptions of Word commands may not be 100% accurate, as I use the Polish version.

1. Copy the source file. Convert the text in the copy to table, where each paragraph is a cell (Table/Convert.../Convert text to table, text separators - paragraph marks).
2. Save the file twice - once as Source.doc, second time as Target.doc.
3. Translate Target.doc in any way you think appropriate - with any CAT or manually.
4. When the translation is done, clean the document if required. Copy the table from Target.doc and paste it as a second column in Source.doc. You then have source text as one column and beside it the target text.
5. Convert this table to text, with paragraph marks as the separators.

Done! You have one paragraph of the source and below it the paragraph of the target text.

However, for the sake of clarity you might modify step 5 - instead convert table to text with dollar symbol as the separator (or another symbol which does not appear in the text!). Then replace all paragraph marks with two paragraph marks, three asterisks and two paragraph marks (Find: ^p, Replace: ^p^p***^p^p). Then replace all dollar symbols with two paragraph marks (Find: $, Replace: ^p^p). Then it should look like this:

Source paragraph

Target paragraph

Source paragraph

Target paragraph

Of course, you might change it to whatever layout you prefer - for example, no space between the source and target paragraphs and just one line of space between the next pair - it depends on what the client wants to do with it...

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple Jun 2, 2008

The way I see it, you just save two copies of the original text, translate one and then go back and paste the translation into the other one, paragraph by paragraph.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Another method Jun 2, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:
He wants to have the translation written beneath the source text, paragraph by paragraph.

Make sure you have a blank line between each paragraph. Now do find/replace by finding ^p and replacing it with ^t^p. Then select all text and go Table -> Convert -> Text to Table, which will convert the whole shebang into a two column table. Save it and save a copy of it.

Translate the copy in Wordfast, and clean it up. Now copy the contents of the first column in the translation into the second column of the original file, but one cell down. Format the translation, eg make it a different colour or highlight it.

Now select the entire table and convert it back to text using Table -> Convert -> Table to Text. Then do find/replace to remove all ^t.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Just send an uncleaned file Jun 3, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

I am translating the website as word file for a client.

The only way I can think of is to translate the file with Wordfast first, then paste the translation in the source. Do you have a better way to do it?

Thank you.
Bin

With so many recommendations of conversions/tables/text separators and other stuff I don't understand this may seem oversimplistic.

You need "the translation written beneath the source text, paragraph by paragraph".

Why not simply translate the file in WF as you would normally do (changing the criterion for segmentation to "paragraph") and send the client the file without cleaning it up?

Cheers,
Andy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation beneath the original text

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs