Thread poster: Kristina Kolic

Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 00:24
Member (2007)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

I have a Word file that contains many tables, which are actually Excel worksheets that I can edit by double-clicking on them.

However, I was surprised when I noticed that Wordfast skips all these tables. Wordfast just displayed the following message at the end: "There are frames, or text boxes or graphics in this document that *may* need translation. Use the View/Page mode or Print Preview to see them."

Nice! As if I didn't notice that I did not translate 80% of my document. My question is: is there any way I can translate these tables in Wordfast (version 5.53)?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:24
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I am not a Wordfast user but Jun 6, 2008

AFAIK the only CAT tool for embedded objects is Transit (XV).

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try seperately Jun 7, 2008

Copy each table to a new Word-doc and translate and copy back.
You cannot expect miracles from a 3.5 Mb plug-in like Wordfast.
Cheers
Heinrich Pesch

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Embedded objects Jun 7, 2008

Kristina Mijic wrote:
However, I was surprised when I noticed that Wordfast skips all these tables. ... My question is: is there any way I can translate these tables in Wordfast (version 5.53)?

I don't think WF can translate embedded objects. You need to disembed them, translate them, and then re-embed them. If you don't know how to do this, then it may be a good time to learn. WF is nice in that it takes care of much in MS Word, but the translator still needs to know how to use the various functions in MS Word in case WF can't.

In some cases, the embedded XLS files may actually all form part of the same XLS document, using different worksheets for the different tables. Also note that the embedded XLS may contain more information than is displayed in the MS Word file, and you probably won't get paid for translating what isn't displayed. I know some people are lazy and they don't delete draft stuff in the XLS file before embedding it.

My approach to files with embedded files is to tell the client that embedding is beyond my skill and that I'll deliver the embedded files translated separately. The client probably knows how to embed them. Of course, this assumes that you knew about the embedded files before you said "yes, and this is my rate for this job".

Still, the client can't really be that angry with you if you tell him in good time that you had suddenly realised the file contains embedded objects and that your skill with embedding objects isn't particularly good, and would he mind if you deliver the embedded objects translated separately? Who knows, he might reply with "Sure, I understand, no problem."

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:24
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Embedded objects Jun 7, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
AFAIK the only CAT tool for embedded objects is Transit (XV).

From all the tools I've used/tested so far this seems to be true.

Given the occasional bad habit of some authors to embed huge worksheets and show only a small portion of one spreadsheet as a table in Word, this can be a disadvantage, however. I have encountered large amounts of text that the client didn't want translated by working the document up in Transit or disembedding and translating the Excel object separately. Heinrich's suggestion is actually very good for isolating the text that you really need to deal with. Just charge a bit extra for the hassle of copying and pasting it.

Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2007)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy / Paste works fine Jun 7, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Copy each table to a new Word-doc and translate and copy back.
You cannot expect miracles from a 3.5 Mb plug-in like Wordfast.

Since Wordfast handles both Word and Excel files, I would have expected it to handle Word files containing embedded Excel sheets... automatically. Unfortunately, it isn't the case.

However, the solution proposed by Heinrich works fine. I just copied the column of the financial statement and pasted it in a new Word file (Paste Special as HTML in order to preserve the table format). Then I translated it in Wordfast and once done I copied the translation and pasted it in the source table. All formatting was retained, except for table and row lines that I had to remove manually.

Thank you all for your valuable help, especially Heinrich who spared me from translating it all from scratch in spite of using my available TM.

Have a nice weekend!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Let's be realistic Jun 8, 2008

Nice that the problem could be solved.

But after all, a tool like Wordfast runs within Word in a graphical environment. Of course it would be nice if it could handle also textboxes and these embedded objects, but these are not under the influence of Word. Even if Wordfast would translate textboxes, it would not be able to increase the size of the box, because the box was drawn manually. The translator would not be able to see the translation within the box.
The same applies for embedded objects, they are assigned a certain space within the Word-document and Word or Wordfast are not able to change this automatically. But a translated table prior to clean-up would be twice as big as the original.
So we should be realistic and not accuse a simple tool like Wordfast of something that is technically impossible.

Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast skips Excel worksheet in Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs